89 Supra n/a DD build

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
Haven't updated this thread in a long time i guess i been enjoying my supra to much... :icon_razz

So this is where we left at:

The marriage:

Those exposed wires were later recovered, that's where we passed the extended alternator wires.

Had to buy some Toyota red and a new harmonic balancer:

The fan setup is:
-Mk3 stock radiator
-Mk3 stock fan shroud
-Mkiv TT fan blade and clutch

The car was later driven 30 miles to Suspecsupra to fabricate the intercooler mounts, piping and exhaust downpipe.

Welding the second bung for the aem wideband sensor:

Intake side:

Turbo:

Blitz nur spec:

Tial Q bov:

Wastegate dump pipe:

Got the car back home for some final lil touches:

Installed the aem wideband and a boost gauge.

Also installed stainless steel braided brake lines and upgraded the fuel pump to an Aeromorive stealth 340 lph:

Rewired the fuel pump with the 12v mod:

Filled up the A/C with r134a:

This was with car @ idle in 70 degree temp;

So this is how she currently looks like:

Here are some pics after getting the car tinted 15%

Now that the car is running good next upgrade will be to replace the 4.30 diff to a 3.73 with better condition axles.

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
Well it has been a long time since i updated this thread so her we go.

Deicded to replace the old bushings and go with energy poly bushings. Found some spare control arms from a local member and started with that:

Cutting the inner sleeves where a bitch with hand tools..

Mean while i did the front wheel bearings, front brake pads,lower ball joints, ARP extended wheel studs using the is300 Part# 100-7715 and 20mm spacer on the front and 15mm on the rear along with all new camber bolts, washer and nuts Since we had to cut out the old ones cause they were frozen solid.

This is how many Diablo blades we went through cutting the lower camber bolts, 2 cuts per bolts

New bearings and studs on

To install the arp stud on the rear i had to remove the parking brake shoes and cable from the dust cover and the slided in nice and easy

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
So after removing the old control arms i found out that my camber bolts ate away my subframe due to the fact that the inner sleeve of the bushing and the bolt became solid so the movement of the suspension kept scraping away at my subframe

So i had to get a new subframe from a donor car and had the alignment tabs reinforced with a bead of weld

Supra drives much better now and more precise

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
After going through the ordeal with the suspension i decided to address the leaky valve steam seals which were getting worse and worse by the day. Since i had to remove cams and such i decided to go with BC 264 cams, BC steel springs and retainers, BC billet keepers and GSC valve steam seals.

Let the surgery begin:

The seals were so bad on the exhaust side most of them didn't have any rubber just the steel encasing

So after me and my cousin got done with all the work we started it and immediately there was a ticking noise from the head. Valve clearances were in spec and buckets were put in the spot where they were originally. After going through every possible cause we decided to put the stock cams back in place and try again. Unfortunately the noise was still there, we kept trying other things that can cause the noise for over a month. Hare are the some threads from SF that i started after the issue and some videos.

[video=youtube;n0jyyO8eTYA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0jyyO8eTYA[/video]

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...noise-after-valve-seal-replacement&highlight=

There was no other option to remove the head:

:cry:

Head was taken to CW Pence rebuilders along with the cams for a complete inspection. During inspection Jeffry(engine builder) found four bent intake valves in cylinder 1 and 6, so the head got those for valves replaced a complete 3 angle valve, decked, valve clearences adjusted to BC specs and obviously bead blasted and hot tanked.

Ordered a set of ARP head studs and oem GTE headgsket.

I was so nervous starting the car that night, hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

[video=youtube;QQLdvdbZpss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQLdvdbZpss[/video]

I have been driving it for about a month since the valve issue been fixed, Supra is running really good you can actually feel the increase in power of those cams up top.
Running the 2j at 15 psi its a bit sketchy on the stock 440cc injectors so i will eventually start looking for a standalone. In the meantime watch this video of me and my cousin 2jz-gte vvti Is300 go for a night cruise.

[video=youtube;wej9FfhD0_o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wej9FfhD0_o[/video]

Last edited:

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
I just went though this build. one of the best i have seen in a long time! love it! Keep up the good work.

Very inspiring

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
Tnice17;2078984 said:
I just went though this build. one of the best i have seen in a long time! love it! Keep up the good work.

Very inspiring

Thanks, i really appreciate it. Updates should be coming soon.

Last edited: