89 Supra Code 71

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Strange code and never ran into this one before.

Code 71.... EGR Malfunction

Problem: Im not running a EGR setup. I have a Ron FFIM. So why am I throwing this code, Just Popped up this morning, Never had this Problem before. Anyone got any Ideas on what I can do to get the CEL to go out instead of just resetting the ECU. I heard of some resister you can install but not 100% sure if its correct.

Thanks All
Robert

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
The EGR had a temp sensor, and it expects to see a rise in temp when the valve is opened.
I have also noticed all OBD1 toyotas with this system to test the valve operation, takes a very long time to actually set a code. That means the light will not turn itself off until it passes this monitor, which would be after a repair and plus another very long time.
How do you trick the computer, IDK but you definitely have to do something with that signal to the computer.

Sorry I dont have a complete answer to your questions, but maybe this will get some discussion moving along.

Last edited:

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Add a Resister where? As far as I can think there isnt a Plug that goes to any of the EGR components.
What type of resister?

Sorry for these Questions but I will get right on this as soon I can know where to install it.

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
supraguy31;1681858 said:
Just to make sure, Is it 10ohm, 1/2 Watt Resister. I read it somewhere but just want to clearify.

I think you left out the K after 10. Just messing around it should be 10k ohms. I have done been threw this and the calif. emission has the sensor and the non calif. do not have the egr sensor. I took two resistors and put them in series to create 12k ohms. I wanted to be right in the middle. It worked and the light stayed off. Then I started reading about what the egr really does and I put it right back on. If it lowered egt's, then that was enough info for me.

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Yeah, I forgot the K....

Its all good, I went ahead and did more searching through other forums to verify that it was a 10K. I installed it and Ive driven the car to a Meet that was held in Western Georgia. 300 Miles one way and about 700 miles total. CEL never came on. Wish I could have gotten my hands on a Non california spec ECU but Oh well.