89+ rear hatch lock

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
i posted this in the for sale and want to buy section but no response so if any one no's where i can find the rear hatch lock piece. the piece u actually put the key into to open the hatch. cuz i bought the 89+ taillights and center piece and the guy i bought it from didnt send the lock with it and now he says he doesent have one

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
mikes_88_supra;1353888 said:
i posted this in the for sale and want to buy section but no response so if any one no's where i can find the rear hatch lock piece. the piece u actually put the key into to open the hatch. cuz i bought the 89+ taillights and center piece and the guy i bought it from didnt send the lock with it and now he says he doesent have one

My stepson did the same upgrade, and he just force fit the lock cylinder into the opening. It worked well for him, never fell out, and is working the same way in his brothers car at this very moment.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
if some one sells you the lock for thee car its not going to fit your car. the pre 89s i thought fit in no prob but only other choise is to go to toyota and get a a 89+ lock cylinder and match it to your key.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
mikes_88_supra;1353975 said:
if they sell me there lock then i can take it to the locksmith and have it rekeyed to match my other locks.

Just take the cylinder apart, and swap in your old tumbler set. It's not that difficult. I'll look at my stepson's to see exactly what he did, cause I don't remember if he had to modify the lock cylinder to fit in in there.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
mikes_88_supra;1354019 said:
thats the problem i need the 89+ cylinder to swap it to cuz i only have the one from my 88

And what I'm saying is that my stepson got the 88 lock cylinder to work, I'm just not exactly sure what he did, to do it.

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
RazoE;1354220 said:
you can reuse your pre 89 lock cylinder, I did on the 86.5 when I changed the taillights..

you have to bend two brackets, as I recall, but it'll fit...

dont suppose u have any pictures. but if no ill try this tonight.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Believe me, my stepson is no brainac, and he figured it out. This is the guy who put a rod bearing in wrong, and seized the engine. It can't be that difficult.

mikes_88_supra

Nov 5, 2007
Missouri
i just got in from putting it back together and OMG im freaking retarded that was prolly the easiest thing ive ever done to my supra. i guess i was just over thinking it.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
yeah, sometimes you just gotta go at it, despite the risk of screwing it up..

it's what makes car modding fun...! actually no, if it's something vital, don't fuck with it until you do you research. Then take a good look at it and decide whether or not it's worth the risk.!

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
mikes_88_supra;1354805 said:
i just got in from putting it back together and OMG im freaking retarded that was prolly the easiest thing ive ever done to my supra. i guess i was just over thinking it.

Told you. :: snowart ::