'89 Plus Front Grill Removal?

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
does anyone have any tips to removing this part of the grill? i have a shiny new frontmount, and i would like to show it off. is it doable, or am i better off just buying a whole front bumper? or should i just be modest and hide my fmic
thanks

p958905_1.jpg

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
The easiest way is to get out your cutting tool of choice and just start cutting.

Of course that will leave these ugly "V"s in the bumper where you made the cuts.

Some people have used Bondo to fill in the "V"s but bondo doesn't flex - the bumper does - and they fall out pretty quickly.

The correct way is to use a filler that is made for urethane bumpers.

I used this - http://www.urethanesupply.com/mm5/m...ore_Code=URE&Product_Code=5210&Category_Code= - to fill in the holes but it doesn't feather out nicely...

So I sanded that lower than the rest of the surface and then filled in with this - http://www.urethanesupply.com/mm5/m...e_Code=URE&Product_Code=2000-T&Category_Code= - This will sand out nicely and then is ready for painting.

The problem becomes that the lower lip now has no support. I have a beam in mine
vegas1.jpg

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i wouldn't cut that bumper,looks way to nice.i have a white bumper you can play with before hacking that one.
gracier FTW
p959041_1.jpg

jsnowman76

In need of another supra
Oct 17, 2006
Elk grove, CA
yes modest is the way to go...

even though cutting it out and filling in the hack marks can be done, like Keith said, your bumper will be lacking support on the lower half and will look terrible if you dont take the time to do it right.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
what color interior? blue, red, or burgandy.i think that's the only color's for the white car's

BoostnLoose

Feb 13, 2006
Canada
if u do it right it doesnt look bad and looks sick with the front mount!!

here's some of my old soupie!

p959355_1.jpg

p959355_2.jpg

i personaly think it's worth the effort

mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
yea. i was checking it out while i was installing the ic the other day...you know, right before i dropped the intercooler on my face causing a nice bloody lip...and i just thought it was a shame to hide all its charge cooling beauty. but i guess it makes my car a little more of a sleeper...not that a supra with strait 3" exhaust can be much of a sleeper.

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
OfnaRcR4;959268 said:
Keep the grille there.
x2. i'm still mad that the previous ownere cut it out. i wouldn't be mad if he did everything right and looked smooth. but it looks like he just took a hack saw and cut it. :3d_frown:

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
mischief7m;959307 said:
burghandy.. and yes, staying modest.
maybe some weekend your still at school with nothing to do,take a ride down.i have a basement full of burghandy interior out of an 89 and a non-cracked dash to boot.i know money must be tight with the swap and all,but still worth a look.

SuprA70

SF.com 'Grounded' Champ
Maybe you can cut it and fit a pre89 grille? Someone step up and experiment on their Supra :evil2:

RazoE;959416 said:
I like the stock grille, but would replace it with an S2 vent in a heart beat if I had the money...

:thumbup:

tsuper92;959041 said:
i wouldn't cut that bumper,looks way to nice.i have a white bumper you can play with before hacking that one.
gracier FTW

I've been wanting to cut the nose off the Greddy just as soulstar did. One of these days :biglaugh: