89+ mirrors on a 88

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Make sure you get the triangular metal mounting brackets, otherwise they won't fit. ;)

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
you sure.?

my 89 has an 86-88 door (which means I have to hold the handle up when I lock it) came complete with a pre 89 mirror. I swapped on an 89 mirror, bolted right up, and then later on changed those to euro mirrors. Never had to swap anything else, always plug and play...

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
RazoE;1073981 said:
you sure.?

my 89 has an 86-88 door (which means I have to hold the handle up when I lock it) came complete with a pre 89 mirror. I swapped on an 89 mirror, bolted right up, and then later on changed those to euro mirrors. Never had to swap anything else, always plug and play...

I know that the euros are manual folding mirrors, and the 89+ mirrors are just different shaped, arguably nicer.

Are the euro mirrors also shaped differently for 89+ as well? Just curious, I don't think so, but I just wanted to ask.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Guyana00;1074025 said:
I know that the euros are manual folding mirrors, and the 89+ mirrors are just different shaped, arguably nicer.

Are the euro mirrors also shaped differently for 89+ as well? Just curious, I don't think so, but I just wanted to ask.

Euros and JDM's are about 99.9% identical on the outside, and remained the same during all years...

I love 89+ mirrors, but I wanted the uniqueness, functionality, and with the increase of bad drivers, the neccessity of folding mirrors.

macjac69

Supramania Contributor
Feb 5, 2007
Mississippi
ok so if I want 89+ mirrors will they work or do I have to get the tri shaped brackets? and if so do they normally come with the mirror set?

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
FYI...Euro folding mirrors plug does not match up with USDM on a 91. Also, neither mirror has any magnification, but I got used to that fast!

macjac69

Supramania Contributor
Feb 5, 2007
Mississippi
These tri shaped brackets, are they on the 88 style mirrors, I took my old ones off to look at the backs and they had some sort of triangular bracket on the back. Thanks...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
91T breezen';1076147 said:
FYI...Euro folding mirrors plug does not match up with USDM on a 91. Also, neither mirror has any magnification, but I got used to that fast!

yeah, the optics are weird, the left mirror shows more than before, and the passenger mirror is a mirror, no + or - ...

as I've said before, I've had 3 different mirrors on without having to ever swap anything...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
okay, well I just recently swapped on 89 mirrors on my girl's 86.5, and didn't have to change the triangle mounts..

however the plug was different, it went in, but there is nothing to hold it together (clip's don't match up), the mirror switch moves the mirror, but moving the switch up, moves the mirror right, and moving the switch right, moves the mirror down, and so on...

the screws were a little too long, so I cut about a 1/4 inch off with a hack-saw for the passenger mirror (no idea why it wouldn't fit) even if I used the screws that came with her original mirror...

driver's side was fine, but the passenger mirror was different, just a heads up, might be different for 87/88 Supras..