'89 Ford Aerostar, knocking/rattleling/ bad noises

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
hey everyone.trying to figgure out this problem with my dd. which is the black sheep of the family driveway. i want to know if its worth fixing or if i should drive it over a clif.

Background: my family owns a 89 aerostar. my grandfather bought it new, drove it for 50k miles and then gave it to us. the car has sat for alot of its life. since we got the car maybe 7 years ago we have driven it to 75k miles.

the car has alot of other problems. only a few of the gauges work, the gas gauge is not one of the working ones, which is a pain. but the oil gauge is one that works only some of the time. we are not shure how good the oil pump is in the car.

it makes the worst knocking/ rattling noise. judging from the aftermarket tach that my grandfather put in (no stock tach), the noise can happen between 2k and up rpm, worse and more noticable in higher rpm. we think the redline is at 4k rpm. we dont know. 4k just seems like a good redline because the motor sounds like its going to blow up.

the noise also seems dependent on how much load the motor is under. for example: crusing on the highway at say 65 mph, thats in 5th gear(manual) at about 2200rpm. if you go up a hill, or try to accelerate, the motor loads up and sounds normal. but if you are going on a flat section of road and are just giving it enough throttle to maintain 65mph(bairly any throttle), then the noise is very loud. it can be even worse if you are going down a hill and it only takes a slight amount of throttle to keep up speed. loud rattle, rapid knock, try rolling your "R" (like your forign language teacher told you) and thats what its like.

my dad tryed putting in premium gas, might have helped alittle. not really imo. so.....any ideas what it is? rodknock? this noise has been happening for a long time and i dont think it has gotten worse over time. piston slap?? if the car were to frag tomarrow its not that big a deal, we just wanna know what it is and if there is anything we can do about it. thanks alot guys.