89+ Conversion Advice

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
Aryte guys so I'm going to get an 87 Supra soon and I'm interested in doing an 89+ bumper and spoiler conversion.

The front of the car right now looks like this
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I want to do the 89+ Bumper Conversion so that it looks more like this, except in black:D
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I also want to do the conversion for the spoiler and tail lights. The tail lights seem to be pretty easy and straight forward so that shouldn't be a problem but if I'm wrong let me know loll. So basically the back of my car looks like this.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

After the conversion I want the 3 piece spoiler and tail lights from the 89 model like this one
sm_photo_missing.jpg

So basically I know I need the 89+ turn signals, grille, front bumper, 3 piece spoiler, and tail lights but there has to be more things I need to mount the bumper or something like that. All I really need help with is what other things I would need to properly install the 89+ bumper, spoiler, and tail lights. I want to to do it properly instead of doing it messed up and regretting it after. All help is appreciated.:1zhelp:

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
And just to let you know I have used the search button to try to find a guide of some sort but I couldn't find anything so if anyone has any guides or something like that I'd appreciate it.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
If you do the taillights also do the trim. The 89+ is plastic and the pre89 is a weird rubber coated metal. I think there is an issue with the pre 89 supras fitting 89+ turn signals as well. Other than that its a fairly straight forward process.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
The hardest thing to find is gonna be the hardware for the spoiler. Try to find one with all hardware. I've got one to sell without all of the hardware, but i'd search for one with it if I were you. Also, the antenna is different, so you will want to find one of those too. You can use the one you have, but it will not sit correctly in the spoiler. I used one like that for a while, and it wasn't too bad.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
I did it once it was easy as hell. Get your new 89+ bumper and find all the mounting places, then relate that to the old one. 1 hour tops.

Don't forget your foglights and foglight mounts on a 89+ are different!

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
So all I would need for the front bumper is the bumper itself? I really want the 89 turn signals though because I've seen the 89+ bumper with the 88 turn signals and I don't like it too much lol. And yeah I know I need different fog lights got the 89+ bumper.

And ForcedTorque what did you mean by hardware because to be honest I really couldn't care less about the antenna.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
gsmokez said:
So all I would need for the front bumper is the bumper itself? I really want the 89 turn signals though because I've seen the 89+ bumper with the 88 turn signals and I don't like it too much lol. And yeah I know I need different fog lights got the 89+ bumper.

And ForcedTorque what did you mean by hardware because to be honest I really couldn't care less about the antenna.

I do think you need to use the 89+ signals with the front bumper to make it look correct.

And for the spoiler hardware, I think there are 4 pieces for each side piece. Two of them are just receivers for the posts on the underside of it. You will have to drill holes for those. Then, there are two on each one that mount to the body, then you run a screw throughto tighten down to. Those are on the side near in the cracks between the hatch and corner.

I kinda circled the mounting points on one of my corners. The second picture is a shot of the one piece of receiver hardware that I have. They can probably be bought pretty cheap from Toyota.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
I think you also need the front nose piece from an '89+ model (where the Supra red emblem, or Toyota badge for later models, are placed upon) if you want to also bolt up the turn signals.