89-92 Polyurethane Motor Mounts

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
I'm looking for some polyurethane motor mounts, and haven't had much luck finding ones for 89-92s. BIC only makes them for 86.5-88s. Without getting some custom made, I have found these so far:

1) http://www.ebay.com/itm/89-92-Toyot...0523?item=110614090523&vxp=mtr#ht_1189wt_1163

2) https://www.revshift.com/shop/motor...otor-mounts-toyota-supra-mkiii-1989-1992.html

Both strike me as "cheap eBay parts", but if the polyurethane and hardware are quality pieces it's really not too complicated as long as they fit :). However, it appears the revshift mounts use two bolts embedded in the poly, so if it fails there is nothing else holding the engine in...:aigo:. The eBay ones appear to have one bolt all the way through.

Any opinions on these? Or is it really worth it going custom? Solid mounts are my other option, but I'm not sure I want solids at the moment.

ifyouaint1sturlast

Banned Scammer - I'm whitemike.
Jun 14, 2011
Fort Myers/Cape Coral - Florida
I've been running some "cheap eBay parts" poly mounts on my Supra for at least 10k miles now. Removed the motor and inspected and they still look new. Strong, and in-tact. Mine were "ultra mounts".

I can say, however, I am switching back to stock mounts due to ride comfort. You can feel a little too much vibration with the poly mounts IMO.

I wouldn't trust the ones with the bolt all the way through. It defeats the purpose doesn't it?

The revshift mounts seem to be constructed well..

mountinside.600.jpg

There's washers embedded in the material to prevent it from pulling out. The mount would literally have to rip in half. Even if that happened.. your motor isn't going to fall out of your car..

Good luck! Hopefully my opinion has helped in some way.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
May I ask why you want to use the Poly mounts? The OEM MKIV mounts are great. It is what I am using on my 88 as it has an 89 subframe. They don't transmit vibration plus they hardly have any kind of flex when revving the motor.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
ifyouaint1sturlast;1786037 said:
I wouldn't trust the ones with the bolt all the way through. It defeats the purpose doesn't it?
Not really IMO. Sure the bolt might make it "semi-solid" but only for tensile forces on the mount. All other directions I would think the polyurethane would take the stress. I could be wrong though.

The revshift mounts seem to be constructed well..

mountinside.600.jpg

There's washers embedded in the material to prevent it from pulling out. The mount would literally have to rip in half. Even if that happened.. your motor isn't going to fall out of your car..
Sure, it's not going to literally fall out, but I'd rather it not wipe out some stuff in the engine bay (hoses, wiring, turbo that's about an inch from the shock tower, etc.) flopping around like a wet noodle :)

Good luck! Hopefully my opinion has helped in some way.
Definitely helped being that you've actually used them! I'll consider the revshift ones.

IBoughtASupra;1786039 said:
May I ask why you want to use the Poly mounts? The OEM MKIV mounts are great. It is what I am using on my 88 as it has an 89 subframe. They don't transmit vibration plus they hardly have any kind of flex when revving the motor.
I'm looking for a "middle ground" between OEM (MK3) mounts and solids. My car isn't my daily and I'll be bordering on 600 whp in the spring. I guess I see polyurethane as that middle ground. I've heard of people using the MKIV mounts. How do those hold up to these power levels?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Local MKIV guy has driven on them for years making 500,600,700,800,900,956 and then sold the motor. Same motor hit 1000. He is now going 3.4 and once again, MKIV stock mounts.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Thanks IBoughtASupra. I'm thinking of going with the MKIV mounts now, but I do want it to be nice and solid so I'll probably add a BIC torque damper as well.

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
well, if you want my .02cents into it.. I went with the TRD MKIV mounts witch are ALOT stiffer in the stockers, and still dont totally bust the wallet either. but ive been driving with them for just over a year, and ive been loving them.