89 7MGTE into my 87 Supra

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
Hey guys, just asking a quick question here, I tried searching and even checked the sticky about the 7MGTE blocks but it didn't thoroughly answer my question. Basically I've got an 87 Supra which has a 7MGTE in it but it's got a rod knock. It's been sitting for about 2 years and I finally decided I might as well get it going again so I've found a motor that someone is willing to sell me but it is a 7MGTE and it came out of an 89 Toyota Supra. Just wanted to ask if I would have any complications putting this motor into my car because I do know the redline on the post 89 Supras is a little lower. Also the head and block are separated already because the motor needs a headgasket so is there anything specific I should check on the motor before buying it? Thanks in advance guys.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
Okay thanks, I guess no one else knows. Well does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for in a motor when buying it? I'm already going to be compression testing it, any other suggestions?

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
You will need to use your 87 ECU/harness, 87 engine brackets/mounts, and two 87 coolant sensors on your waterneck will need to be used on the 89 engine. Don't worry about the redline, the only difference is the 6M and 7M crankshafts counterbalances. I would also be concerned why the engine needed a new headgasket and be open to the fact that it may also have rod knock.

honeydew;1710792 said:
I believe there is a harness difference between 86.5-88 and 89-92 and . Not sure how much work is involved.
Pre1989 (yellow) and Post1989 (grey) engine harnesses have different ECU/pinouts and also the dash plugs have different pinouts/plugs as well.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
Ok thanks a lot for the input, that's exactly what I was looking for. Really appreciate it. And I found another motor that is still intact and I can hear it running before buying it so it may be a better option. And nice bike bud, I'm trying to get one myself at the moment too.