89 7mge starter and fuel help plz

steveo1988

The Wise & Pwrful Yoda
Feb 14, 2010
Upstate NY
Ok here's the deal....I have a 89 mkIII that i just purchased that i couldn't turn down. The car had a 7mgte in it when i got it but just the block and head everything else was striped of the engine. I have just recently pulled the gte out so it can be built outside of the car and I put my 89 7mge engine in with the ecu and engine harness from my 89ge. Now for the problems I am having, first is that when i put the key in the ignition and go to crank it over i am not getting any power to the starter. I have checked the starter by jumping it with a screw driver and it does engage the starter. The next ? is also to go along with the ignition problem is i am not recieveing any power at the fuel pump w/ the key in on possition, when i jump FP w/ B+ i can hear the FP kick on and hear fuel in the rail....so for the time being i ran the starter to a switch and jumped FP w/ B+ just to see if i could get the engine to start but all she does is crank over and not fire...I have checked the timing numerous times and every single fuse numerous amounts of times, all grounds, all connections, and no codes and i am stumped!!! Could this have something to do with the fuel relay possibly going bad on the passenger side firewall? But why would it not engage the starter???

I apologize about the story book post guys first post and wanted to make things as clearly as possible.

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
Do you have a multimeter? The starting circuit needs to be examined (http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=038).

I'd recommend fixing your starting problem before worrying about the ignition problem. As I understand it, there are some elements that are common between both the starting and ignition circuits, so fixing the no crank may fix the no start. At a glance, the ignition switch, as well as the main fusible link between the battery and fuse box, have the potential to cause a failure of both the starting and ignition systems.

By the way, it's normal that you're not getting power to the fuel pump with the key at "on"...on our cars the fuel pump doesn't run until the ignition is turned to the start position.

steveo1988

The Wise & Pwrful Yoda
Feb 14, 2010
Upstate NY
ok sorry it took so long to get back.....i finially got the no crank fixed....it was a bad starter relay.....now im stuck with no power to the fuel pump with the key in the on or start poss. i can only get power at the pump when i use the diagnostic port but even then my injectors arnt getting ne power or firing....i was doing some research and a thread said that 89+ does not need a injector resistor box on the driver side fender wall....my fuel pump relay, circuit opening relay and fuesable links are all good(tripple checked em with a multimeter).....ancihious to put the car on the road this week since we have some warm weather coming this weekend, so plz NE help appreciated!!!!!

steveo1988

The Wise & Pwrful Yoda
Feb 14, 2010
Upstate NY
ok i did some more diagnosing today and i was checking the fuel wiring circuit and i am getting power from the batt. all the way up to the circuit opening relay and AFM and i tested both and they both have continuity...but the thing is im not getting any power at the fuel pump relay(wich also has cont.)....the way it looks on here http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=FI&P=70 is that the AFM is what triggers the opening ciruit relay.....and then sends power to the FP relay....if this is the case then i think my AFM is bad unless the '88AFM wont work with the '89 because of the harness difference. Would this also make my injectors not fire if the FP or FP relay isnt getting ne power? Any help appreciated...thnx

Project:XJZCressy

Oct 5, 2010
Franklin, TN
this is some good stuff, its really helping me right now with my mx83 7mge cressida, starter cranks, no motor crank, zero grinds. im hoping its the starter that doesnt engauge