89 7mge revving problems

88supraFAST1

7M WHAT
Feb 8, 2006
Battle Ground, Wa
I have an 89 cressida and im having a problem where it wont rev past 4k i have no check engine lights nothing i have been working on it for a few weeks now trying to figure out what is wrong but cant find whats wrong. I hoping some one on here can help me out. Thinks i have check wires cap rotor plugs and wires, tps, afm, fuel filter, everything was good and with in spec.

Last edited:

supraduper

Jun 7, 2009
merrimack nh
the air gap is the space between the magnetic pickup and the reluctor.. i dont know off hand what the spec is, but its in the tsrm i am sure....

you will need a set of non magnetic feeler gauges..

and are you sure you have propper fuel pressure....

fuel would be the most likely culprit..
but with an old worn out distributor... the faster the reluctor spins and the increase in space to the pick-up.. the harder it would be for the pickup to "sense" the rotation...

its a thought

ricerkid

Jul 8, 2009
St. Louis
it sounds like the maf sensor is kaput to me. I had the exact same problem with my 7mge; it wasn't throwing any codes. Check the resistance on your maf sensor. I bought a remanufactured one at autozone for $180 which isn't too bad in my opinion, also your local breakers yard might have one.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Might check your fuel filter. It gets plugged up enough, you won't get enough fuel. Air filter as well, but it would have to be REALLY bad. K&N filters that don't get cleaned are bad about that...