89 1jz swap

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
WOW nice swap you have going on here.

The max boost is set by the waste gates. There should be a pressure line from the compressor housing of each turbo to its own waste gate. The ecu has nothing to do with limiting boost pressure. (other than fuel cut)

After you check out the waste gates. At least put a mechanical boost gauge on. It should be boosting like 10-12 psi, but i agree breaking the tires loose in 4th seems weird. Then again if it was overboosting one would think you'd hit fuel cut. Maybe the modded ecu?

Good luck, it looks like your hard work is paying off.

qu3tzlgum8y

Jan 5, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Well the interior is gutted and I'm on stock suspension and not so great tires.. I would post a video but I have no camera man available :-(

Is there any boost gauges that replace the stock one? I'd like to keep it as original looking as I can

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Many opt to put the NA volt meter, in the stock boost gauge location, and putting a boost gauge elsewhere. Because its very difficult to duplicate the look of the stock gauges, with an aftermarket one. Many try, but I have yet to see one that looks right.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Thats looking sick man, I'm pretty newb with a 1jz too. I bought a twin turbo R and my last car was a 7m, trying to find boltons is completely different story lol

I<3Supras

Drft What do u mean drft?
Mar 31, 2005
Southern, Ca
If your looking for a quiet 3'' exhaust then the tanabe touring exhaust will be prefect. I have one on my 7mgte with bic ddp rerouted and test pipe and its still super quiet. Beautiful job by the way.

qu3tzlgum8y

Jan 5, 2007
I<3Supras;1617049 said:
If your looking for a quiet 3'' exhaust then the tanabe touring exhaust will be prefect. I have one on my 7mgte with bic ddp rerouted and test pipe and its still super quiet. Beautiful job by the way.

I'm glad to hear that because I ordered my exhaust today. It should be here tomorrow, hopefully.. then I'll have aaron make me a test pipe.. then off to smog I go!

By the way, I'm also buying some bc racing coilovers most likely on Friday.. anybody have any input on these for the mkIII?

I'm also selling my stock suspension with TEMS if anybody is interested.. just shoot me an offer

qu3tzlgum8y

Jan 5, 2007
Nobody knows anything about bc racing coilovers?

Small update:

Got all new weatherstripping today from toyota.. apparently everything has gone up in price since the last time I ordered these.. $250 for the four rubbers around the targa.. 50 bucks more than I paid a year ago..

My tanabe touring exhaust shipped today instead of yesterday.. so hopefully I get it tomorrow. I'll post some pics up when I get it, as well as a sound clip of the exhaust as soon as I get a test pipe.

qu3tzlgum8y

Jan 5, 2007
Got the Tanabe exhaust installed today. I'm VERY very happy with it, it is extremely quiet until you really get on it.. In fact, with the hood off, you can hear the hydro fan over the exhaust. I took a quick video of it right after I installed. There is a little bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust, that is probaly just from the test pipe which was freshly cut and, like a dumbass, I forgot to clean it out before I installed it. I might take it off again and clean it out tomorrow. Here is a link to the video I took:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJJTrJLs2EA

qu3tzlgum8y

Jan 5, 2007
Here's some pics of the exhaust:

p1617921_1.jpg

p1617921_2.jpg

p1617921_3.jpg

p1617921_4.jpg

p1617921_5.jpg

p1617921_6.jpg

p1617921_7.jpg

p1617921_8.jpg

qu3tzlgum8y

Jan 5, 2007
Got my BC Racing coilovers installed today. I haven't really had a chance to mess with the dampening yet but I did take it on the road at a medium setting and they felt very nice. No body roll, and very responsive steering. Also, even with my entire interior gutted, they are still very quiet. When I first installed them, I wasn't sure how tall to set the coilover so I made a guess and my mud flaps ended up touching the ground.. so they can definitely get low.. For now, though, I just set it at a pretty much stock height. Here's a couple pics (it was too dark to get a good pic of the car):

p1621883_1.jpg

p1621883_2.jpg

p1621883_3.jpg

qu3tzlgum8y

Jan 5, 2007
Took the car out today and noticed a ton of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust.. now, I know the engine has probably been sitting for quite some time, but is this normal? So far, I've put about 90 miles on the engine since the swap. There is only noticeable smoke when I rev it to about 4k rpm, not at an idle. The turbos are still boosting over my stock boost gauge, which is over 8psi, and more than likely well over 10psi. Somebody suggested I use "engine restore" for the seals.. what do you guys think? Should I put some more miles on it with some oil additives? or should I pull the head and start replacing valve stem seals or look into the turbo seals? I pulled number 1 and 2 spark plugs. There was oil on the first plug, but no noticeable oil on the second plug. My compression is over 150psi in both of the cylinders. Any advice would be appreciated.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Most likely the turbos smoking. It happens to them all, its just a matter of when. That may be the reason the motor was taken of the streets, in japan.
Leave the "engine restorer" on the shelf, at the parts store, where it belongs.

qu3tzlgum8y

Jan 5, 2007
The turbos looked good when I took them apart. I don't think there was any oil on the turbines or anything, and, like I said, there is only oil in the first cylinder.. kind of a lot of oil. The 1jz I bought came out of a crashed supra, that is most likely why they took it off the streets.

In any case, how can I narrow it down to either the valve seals or the turbos?

qu3tzlgum8y

Jan 5, 2007
I finally got it registered and on the road and after a weekend of driving it stopped smoking so I think I'm ok.

Is there any way to get the factory alarm to work after a 1j swap?? I think the wires for the alarm were on the 7m engine harness..