'88'Tvs3000GTVR4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SidewayzSupra

Mar 30, 2005
Puyallup
No Shit story
I was down near the port of Tacoma showing my friend my Tein Coils I had put on a couple weeks back, anyway after leaving his shop in Fife I pulled over to look over this '87' Supra NA for sale when I saw a tricked 3000GT in the distance pull out of a mini mart. I hopped back into my car looking for some action. I pulled up behind him at the light which was turning left. I then noticed it was a VR4 and thought "oh shit" at least 320hp AWD. He had dual monster ehxausts exhaling out the back. It was all black with dark tinted windows, lowered, and rimmmed. I thought oh well I went this far, he turned left onto the highway and got on it I shifted hard into second pulling beside him, I felt bad because I think he missed a shift as I was passing him. I thought that wasn't right so I got back behind him to go through some traffic. Through his mirror I could see he was fidaling with something on the left side(boost controller???) He knew what I wanted. He took the next exit down into an industrial area. I followed him until the road went back into two lanes. I thought no way from a stop so I kept him rolling to 40mph. I shifted from 3rd to 2nd, as I approached his right side he didn't even let me get next to him before he stuffed it. To my huge suprise he didn't pull on me at all. Instantly I was gaining ground; halfway through 3rd I was side/side as I was shifting into 4th I started to pull almost a car length on him. He shut down at about 120mph after I was over a car length in front. When he caught up with me he gave me the thumbs up and kept going. I tried to get him to pull over but after a couple attempts I just turned around and headed back home with a huge grin on my face. I was suprised as hell I beat this VR4. I thought they were pretty fast???? Anyone else race one??
Take downs:2x350Z,300ZXN/A(girlfriend driving),chrystler Prowler, mustang v-slow, VR-4. GST Eclipse, Other no power mentions
Close calls:'03' Mustang SVT-would of killed me if I let him by, kept him behind me up to 130mph
Loses:sad to say '98' Turbo Hatch pushing over 300hp. When I was all stock

Last edited:

superiorsupra

Apr 1, 2005
ceres
wow, very nice kill. 3000gt vr4 are pretty fast cars, but from a role they aren't that fast because their power is transfered to both the front and back wheels so they tend to have less top end than typical RWD cars. They are very fast for a stop because of the awd though. Fill free to correct me if I'm mistaken. Yeah and the earlier 3000gt (90-93, pop up headlights type) vr4 came with only 300hp, while 94-99 came with 320hp. Anyhow, nice kill, good one to add to your growing list!!! :bigthumb:

esc

WUM WUM!
Mar 30, 2005
Winston, NC
ya really, gotta know mods on your car so i know whether to call b/s or not. did you see if it had an arch style wing, a big huge wing (99 style) or did it have the adjustable aero wing? if It had the adjustable wing it was most def a VR-4. If it had the huge 99 style wing it was more than likely a VR-4. If it had the arch wing...could be a VR-4 or someone who put VR-4 tags on for fun. Let us know your mods.

SidewayzSupra

Mar 30, 2005
Puyallup
The VR-4 had a spoiler like the 87-88 Supra Turbos. The more I talked to a couple buddies I think it was the 90-93 style, which are still quick but have 300hp, opposed to 320 94+years. It was turboed because I could faintly make out his blow off. I have a Greddy Type-S which is pretty damn loud to hear anything over that. Not to start any arguments but I have a friend with a '04' SVT Cobra and they come stock with 390hp crank. He dynoed his after putting on a full exhaust,intake, and smaller pulley(supercharger) and put down 430rwhp. And as you read the only reason he didn't pass me(not my frined but the other guy)is he couldn't get around me. My friend Tim out out those numbers with his 1st SVT. He blew the motor within the first 3,000 miles. I think he said it was the first time that had ever happened. They got SVT techs together to try and blaim him for it blowing up. Of course he took off the pulley before they picked it up. Under warrenty though they replaced the motor $15,000 later. With his hp and skill he ran that SVT to a 12.1 or 12.3 1/4mi. That is what he does as a hobby(drag racing). He has a bunch of muscle cars putting out crazy power.
My Mods: Fully rebuilt JDM motor 6k miles ago. Bought crate motor and had it torn down and rebuilt(afraid of another bhg), new bearings,entire motor seals, honed cyclinders, chromoly piston rings, HKS 1.2mm hg, Arp crank & head studs(torqued right), NGK plugs, MSD 8.5mm wires, 3" exhaust from turbo back, IC hard pipes, Greddy Type-S bov, cold air intake routed into front bumper to get more air, Dual flex-a-lite fans,no clutch fan(less resistance on motor), True short shifter, Full synthetic Mobil 1 motor/tranny oil, royal purple rear end fluid(dyno tested hp gain) Interior lightened, Tein coils,and rolling on 18s. Is that enough info???

J

JerzeySlowpra

i believe it i've rolled on an EVO on the highway, and an STI that i was playing with and couldnt get away from me because i kept pullin on him real bad and riding his ass by a foot still trying to accelerate on him on the highway. he tried playign with me from a stop, but he eased into 1st then banged 2nd and took off i banged and jumped infront. im running 14lbs of boost though and a decent amount of mods

basically the sti couldnt walk away from me and it was trying, and the evo had me for a little bit but i got him up top, awd is garbage

i dont know about the svt mustang though :icon_conf i couldnt keep up with my dads Z06 if my life depended on it

Last edited by a moderator:

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
yea i've takin' out a stock STi on the HW. But I wasn't on stock boost. I'm sure I could take out an EVOvIII on the HW.

SidewayzSupra

Mar 30, 2005
Puyallup
You should all know if you run a full 3" exhaust(getting rid of cats/res.) you gain between 1-1.5psi of boost do to less restriction. So with that I guess I can say I'm running around 9psi. Stock rebiult turbo. Also in my story I never said I pulled or even beat a SVT I just kept him from passing me. You guys can believe what you want but I know I was driving and pulled on a VR4 anyone around w/ a VR4 want to race, lets go.

Last edited:

esc

WUM WUM!
Mar 30, 2005
Winston, NC
SidewayzSupra said:
You should all know if you run a full 3" exhaust(getting rid of cats/res.) you gain between 1-1.5psi of boost do to less restriction. So with that I guess I can say I'm running around 9psi. Stock rebiult turbo. Also in my story I never said I pulled or even beat a SVT I just kept him from passing me. You guys can believe what you want but I know I was driving and pulled on a VR4 anyone around w/ a VR4 want to race, lets go. I can't beilieve you guys being Supra owners would even question this.

So if you said "hey i beat a Diablo today" we'd have to believe you because we own Supras? Now what happens if I also own a 3000GT? In which case I do.

Most of your mods you listed are mainly rebuild mods. Plus I dunno who you talked to but the 91-93 VR-4s use the same motor and setup as the 94+ ones, getting the same amount of horsepower.

We'll do a rough estimate:
230 crank HP + 30HP (for benifit of the doubt) = 260 crank HP

320 crank HP (mods unknown) = 320 crank HP.

Even after drivetrain losses on the AWD I still think hsi HP is more.

Unless of course he didn't know how to drive, Imma use this for now:

:bsflag:

edit: or also unless the car was a complete and utter piece of shit that hadn't been maintained. Then of course it wouldn't run right.

SidewayzSupra

Mar 30, 2005
Puyallup
Nothing against you Jerzey I just think ESC has a big head and doesn't want to admit his 3000GTN/A is p.o.s. Also before you talk shit do your own research. The early VR-4s have 300hp not 320 look it up. Also the VR-4 weighs 3,800 w/all that AWD crap my Supra weighs 3500pds if not lighter w/out the tinterior. 1JZ nice pick but over rated(who's is it?). Wheres the torque??? I have a friend with 620rwhp 7mgte and 650pds torque. Once new motor is in look for 700hp #'s As far as my #'s try closer to 280 at least and I'm spinning 2 wheels not four. I don't know why I'm even waisting my time. How old are you ESC??? 18??? grow up. Lets also figure in I have a new motor so my numbers are real not 100,000+ miles old as I'm sure the VR-4 was.

Last edited:

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
to many factors other than just crank hp. if a tempo can beet a 91 integra anything is possible.

driver
vehicle condtion
weight difference cus yes there is one

and on the we should beleive you cus we drive these cars, well we understand what they are capable of, if you did beet a vr4 w/ supporting mods g/j its just realy hard to do so if your running a normal supra. once you are past the stock tier there realy is no point looking at stock crank hp because those no longer matter, no two modded cars are going to perform the exact same because , well, they have been modded.
and in the end, only the other driver knows if he was actualy trying. for all we know he was at 3/4 throttle, i know cus i do that to allot of honda's. done hope im still in the neutral/non flaming post zone.

J

JerzeySlowpra

theres alot more than hp to worry about esc. take this for example the nasty 500 whatever hp cobra r mustang vs a corvette z06 with 405 hp... its a known factor the z06 is still the faster car, probley because of aero-dynamics though. and like AJ said, its about driver skill, vehicle condition, and weight... power to weight makes a big difference IMO, and for the record i've toyed around with a decent modded VR-4 and they are just as shitty as they are built.

Last edited by a moderator:

esc

WUM WUM!
Mar 30, 2005
Winston, NC
Apparently you did not read my post.

"Unless of course he didn't know how to drive,"

"or also unless the car was a complete and utter piece of shit that hadn't been maintained."

And who gives a rats ass whether my 3000 is a vr-4 or not? That just says I've been around them and I know what they can do. I've ridden in plenty, seen how different mods change things on the car. I had a friend who had a 93 VR-4 was running like, 450HP just from basic upgrades.

And if you want to really be immature enough to get into the the age business, I'm 21. Again, who gives a rats ass? I'm not saying he couldn't beat one if the driver was mentaly retarded or the car was just a piece of crap. I'm just sayin that's a big difference.

And how does me having a 1JZ engine have anything to do with this thread? You guys are just looking for completely off-topic reasons to jump my ass. Who cares if your friend has a 650rwhp 7m. This thread isn't about your friend. This thread isn't about my car. So in light of people failing to read properly and arguing off topic, I'm closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.