88 ge to 1jz swap

makaveli913

1jz and lovin it
Nov 20, 2007
Pueblo Co
Hi everyone. I finally got my 1jz clip in :biglaugh: it took a long time. I ordered it in october and barely got to see it today. Customs was a hastle but i got it cleared. the agent was a punk. He was classifying it as a whole car and it needed epa certification. he told me it would have to pass emissions and if it had brakes the brakes had to pass too ect... He said, "I can tell you right now THIS WILL NEVER GET CLEARED AND YOUR WASTING YOUR TIME AND MONEY!" So I got a broker and he said it was for an "off road racing vehicle" and it was cleared the next day. EPA who???? EPA certification what? :sarcasm: Now all thats left to do is find someone in the colorado area to do the swap. I checked around town and everyone wants $3000+ to do the swap. Is that outrageous or resonable??? The clip itself is prety clean. It has 87000 km and seems to be all stock.
i also have some other questions. the clip came with a Mines ecu is that good? what the difference between that and stock? It has been opened too. I also have some cut wire connectors. I need help identifying what they are. What parts should I replace? should I put a new clutch rightaway? im ordering ps hose, throttle cable, seals, belts, and i think thermostat. I will update when there is progress. THANK YOU ALL FOR HELP

dsc00490io3.jpg

dsc00481df6.jpg

dsc00482lz1.jpg

dsc00483mi8.jpg

dsc00485bu0.jpg

dsc00488po6.jpg

dsc00496eh3.jpg

What are these connectors for???????????
dsc00491py6.jpg

Last edited:

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
Jeez. thats some good stuff. i don;t know much about the 1j, like i told you before that one night. but you should let me have some parts like the toyota hood emblem. :naughty: and the guy that did my swap lives in boone. i'm not sure he would still do it, but its worth a shot. the place is called "parks automotive" the guy's name is christian. and he was pretty cheap with me. it also could be that my dad works with him. and he's a little crazy, but he's good. let me know if you need help.

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Ah man, you don't want that Mines Ecu,:nono: I'll just swap you my stock one for it.:x:JK! That is a very good thing! Good luck with your swap.:icon_bigg

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
i too was going to say gauge cluster

the mines ecu is a custom map i belive that has been burned onto a rom chip and placed on the ecu,

either way it's worth some cash, and is more then likely the best thing to keep with the engine already.

hell i've been on a work frenzie every one need's work done around my town on their cars, wish you lived closer. i have never done a 1jz and with all the parts from your clip i could have it done in a few days.

im sure you can find some one like me to do it for around 1000.

hell if you take on the taske you will learn alot more.

best of luck i'll stay tuned for a build thread!

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Are you not able to do the swap yourself? Is the person doing the swap familiar with supras and the harness modifications that'll have to be done? Either way I'm jealous. I would like to see that engine in the bay of my 86.5.

makaveli913

1jz and lovin it
Nov 20, 2007
Pueblo Co
Ok 4 months later and finaly PROGRESS, but still not finished:cry: ok it took a while for the shop to get an opening for my swap to begin. My na had a rod Knock for about 2 years. It got super bad a month before i took it to the mechanics. I got chased by a gang of people from a party. The supra was on E and had no oil because it burned oil like crazy. Three cars were chasing me and i redlined and drifted to get away. Thankfully i did but the 7mge wasnt ok.:3d_frown: The knock got super loud like a lil monkey was banging on the engine with a wrench. The car lasted about a month till it finally blew BUT the amazing thing was that it STILL RAN!! I think it was running on like 2 cylinders or something. It was real weak but it made it to the mechanic shop way across town:icon_surp (7M-GE 167,678 miles RIP) :3d_frown: A couple a weeks later My jza clip was disassembled. I bought a grip of parts:

Lightweight Flywheel
spec clutch
2j water pump
new belts
2j clutch fan
thermostat
3in downpipe
intake
coilpack cover chromed!!!!!!!
Pully kit
throttle, power steering and mounts.

Everything was put in and i did the wiring. I made a jumper harness for the body plugs and cut a hole in the firewall. too many damn wires to extend to do the whole harness. About 2 weeks passed and then the sup got to get put on the lift to rip the dead 7m out. It took a day to get the 7 out completely. The next day the 1jz was ready to drop in. It went in NO problem. It was hard pushing the harness through as the 1j was lowered in. Every was hooked up that can be and now it sits:cry:
Problems/Things to do:
I need a new intercooler pipe because the stock one runs into the 2j fan
I never got a driveshaft (which i was promised) with the clip so i need a turbo one.
FuseBox-Idk whether to swap the 1j one in or to rewire the 7m one to fit. WHAT SHOULD I DO ABOUT THIS???????
The 2j throttle cable dont reach Its like its too short. WHY??
The driftmotion power steering hose is confusing to hook up!!! WTF??? we dont know how to run it. the guy doing the swap is saying its too short.
And Last STARTING THE BEAST. i tried to start the clip but it was geting no spark at all. Idk if its the Mines ecu, or the igniter.

Here is some pic of the progress: