88 7mgte into an 89 shell???

noa324

booster
Dec 19, 2008
miami
ok guys im running a mission... i thougt i was going to finish my car and be done with this. The supra gods have other plans. I have found an 89 non turbo targa for real cheap, nice condition. I have an 88 7mgte that i built and was breaking it in, and now i want to put it in the 89 shell.. I know that the harness is different and also the motor mounts, but if i change the motor mounts i should be good right? I got the harness no problem but the motor mounts i think i need the arms off of a 89.. Not really sure this was kind of an impulse buy becouse i WANT A TARGA!! Any info would be appreciated-noa

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
it depends on when the 89 was made if it's an early 89 like mine, the mounts are the same as a pre 89, if it's a later 89, all you'd need are the later mounts, nothing hard at all..

noa324

booster
Dec 19, 2008
miami
thanks man just making sure that i wont have ne problems i wanna finish da project allready.. Where would i be able to purchase the mounts, it is just buying the mounts or the arm that the mounts connect to??

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
sell a organ and go to toyota...

you can buy nearly any part still, just be prepared to pay as they come from japan (OVERNIGHT....that takes 3 weeks) lol

Last edited:

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
just don't expect the part interpreters to be very useful, I went to one here in Aus, they wouldn't even talk to me without a chassis number..

in the end he sold me the wrong engine mounts for $200aud... so my advice, make sure its the right part...

1986.5- 1988.10 have square mounts (AND DIFFRENT BRACKETS)
1988.10-1992? have square mounts.

you cant just reuse the square mount brackets with round mounts, they don't match the angles on the kframe

hope this helps you....

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
paradox616;1251074 said:
1986.5- 1988.10 have square mounts (AND DIFFRENT BRACKETS)
1988.10-1992? have ROUND mounts.

You will need both the mounts and brackets if you need to change them. I believe (somebody correct me) that the harnesses changed at the same time as the mounts. One thing to note though, if your car came originally with square mounts, you can't just swap in the round ones and vice versa. Also, if you have to change harnesses, you don't have to find matching parts on the motor for it. I'm basically talking about the CPS, Coil Pack, and igniter. You can mix colors from the harness to the part. There are two different plugs though on the igniters, so you could have to swap it out.

noa324

booster
Dec 19, 2008
miami
ok ok sounds str8.. i gotta my 7m in another shell ima break it in and when im done ill have everything done in the 89 so i can swap it. dam i got that shell 4 300 dollars US very clean at least 4 300$ thanks 4 the input if anybody has any more info all ways interested in the unknown

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
ForcedTorque;1251135 said:
You will need both the mounts and brackets if you need to change them. I believe (somebody correct me) that the harnesses changed at the same time as the mounts. One thing to note though, if your car came originally with square mounts, you can't just swap in the round ones and vice versa. Also, if you have to change harnesses, you don't have to find matching parts on the motor for it. I'm basically talking about the CPS, Coil Pack, and igniter. You can mix colors from the harness to the part. There are two different plugs though on the igniters, so you could have to swap it out.

im not sure about the harness, are you talking about engine harness or engine wiring loom,