88 7M-GTE CPS to Distributor conversion

JLMA70

Apr 17, 2012
Rochester MN
Alright, I know I'm going to get a ton of hate mail for bringing this up, but hear me out. I've got quite a fun project here. I've got an 88 GTE engine, "running" off a 2JZ-GTE AEM. I had a custom harness made for supposed "plug and play" applications. Needless to say, the car won't start. I'm not receiving a CPS signal, and of course, being a 7M, I don't have a crank sensor to send a signal from. Cam sensor signals are completely different for the MK4 and MK3 CPS's. One of my parts houses is R@D'ing a system to add a crank sensor, (they are the ones who gave me the idea to do this) but until the part is designed and made, my car is stuck 140 miles away at my tuner, dead, and no chance of starting anytime soon. No idea when the parts will be ready.

I just had a random thought driving home today; Can I convert the CPS system run the analogical distributor ignition system? I know it's backwards thinking, but I can't leave my car at my tuners garage until the parts are made.

Or by chance has anyone done a ECU conversion like this and solved the same dilemma I am currently in?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The aem is very picky with 7m cps. So make sure 1 the wiring is correct and 2 the cps is actually giving a signal.

also the aem is no different from any other 6cyl box. only difference is the plugs.

The cps has a ne signal which is a 24 tooth crank signal and 2 ge signals which are cam signals. SO just use ne for crank and 1 ge for cam. 24/1 setup. not super complicated and should be super easy to wire up.

by removing the cps and using a dizzy you have no control of the timing and making the aem useless. and without at least a crank signal your not going to have fuel.