87 turbo supra got a nock. how hard to rebuild?

Orangeracer

SUPRA LOVER
Sep 12, 2008
Harford County, MD
So i changed the oil in my supra and it got a nock. So i am going to have to pull the engine. the question how long should it take to yank the engine out? and would just getting the head rebuilt, new bearings, and rings and seals, be good? or do i have to do anything else? any tips or tricks would be nice.

dpack138

Poopra
Oct 30, 2007
Rosamond, CA
THe cheapest ive found for a good quality rebuild (new crank bearings, polished crank, new forged pistons, rods, HG, block preasure check, check/ replace cams flow head...etc...) was about 1450. Pacific Engines in seattle. These guys knew what motor I had over the phone just from "80s turbo supra"

pack....

we're all still learning ;)

Last edited:

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
dpack138;1233895 said:
THe cheapest ive found for a good quality rebuild (new crank bearings, polished crank, new forged pistons, rods, HG, block preasure check, check/ replace cams flow head...etc...) was about 1450. Pacific Engines in seattle. These guys knew what motor I had over the phone just from "80s turbo supra"

pack....

we're all still learning ;)

DAM!!!! i wish i would of went to them. actualy i will still go to them if anything happends to this engine.

CATarga

May 22, 2008
Grass Valley, CA
Time and cost all depends on how much of it you can do yourself. The '87 i am restoring came w/a bad rod. after pulling it down, the rods and pistons were fine, though I did need to have the crank turned. If the knock just started to happen(and the PO didn't run heavy oil to cover up the sound at sale), you may be lucky and not have any crank wear, though it should be checked anyways. I would think if you can do the work yourself you should be able to rebuilt it for under $1500. I wasn't on a time table to do mine, so I can't say how long it would take.

If you buy a complete engine, I think you could remove/install the engines one weekend, then complete the rest of the install the following weekend.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Jeff Lange;1233973 said:
I doubt it included pistons and rods, a good set will cost that much or more by themselves. The rest of it sounds like it's not bad for $1450.

Jeff

That's what I was figuring, there's no way all that stuff was included and the labor.