'87 Turbo overheating

mustangmatt98

Nov 11, 2013
georgia
Hey guys, I just bought my supra a few weeks ago. It was hardly running due to someone swapping in a Lexus afm and not changing the injectors. I got that issue corrected and took it for a ride. the car runs just fine while moving and seems to miss slightly when my foot comes off the gas. It won't overheat while going down the road but will overheat if I stop at a stoplight. I know for a fact that it is because it is missing the mechanical fan all together. the fan shroud is all crunched up and half missing. I was wondering if it would be cheaper/better to just run the contour fans or try to find a fan shroud and mechanical fan.

Now I know everyone is going to chime in about flow rates and how the climate effects it. I only use this car around town. It is not a race car. If the fans from a contour will keep it cool in rush hour traffic that is what I want to do.

Also if I do go with the contour fans how do I go about wiring it in? It seems like this is a common thing to do so I was hoping there's some info on how to get it to work properly in the car. Do I use existing wiring or run my own, and if i run my own would it just be better to put them on a key-on source? I'm unsure if they had more than one speed on them and if they do it would be great if I could get the high speed to work when needed, even if it is on a switch in the car.

Thanks for the feed back,
-Matt

Sep 1, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
emiliorescigno;1975930 said:
+1

There is no substitute for the stock fan clutch & fan.

This is interesting. Are there any threads that prove this. I myself use dual electric fans for my cars. I always thought they flowed better. I was also under the impression that clutch fans moved less air than a electronic, only because so many people do the swap.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
unkillablepaseo;1976156 said:
This is interesting. Are there any threads that prove this. I myself use dual electric fans for my cars. I always thought they flowed better. I was also under the impression that clutch fans moved less air than a electronic, only because so many people do the swap.

Not sure how much proof you're looking for, I don't have a bunch of laboratory tests proving things out, but I know at least four different people locally have had overheating issues, all with electric fans. As soon as they switched back to (properly functioning) fan clutches, their problems went away. Two of their usernames here are allen600 and leecheater

Additionally, a great deal of people are making big power with 0 overheating problems on a stock fan & clutch (see: Toyotanos)

I think there are two main reasons that people switch to e-fans -
1: They're easier to fit in when you do a JZ swap.
2: They want to "save horsepower" so they remove the factory fan clutch and its drag on the engine.

Don't believe me if you wish, but go do a search for "overheating" on these forums. You'll find plenty of people with e-fans having trouble at low speeds around town.

Sep 1, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
emiliorescigno;1976168 said:
Not sure how much proof you're looking for, I don't have a bunch of laboratory tests proving things out, but I know at least four different people locally have had overheating issues, all with electric fans. As soon as they switched back to (properly functioning) fan clutches, their problems went away. Two of their usernames here are allen600 and leecheater

Additionally, a great deal of people are making big power with 0 overheating problems on a stock fan & clutch (see: Toyotanos)

I think there are two main reasons that people switch to e-fans -
1: They're easier to fit in when you do a JZ swap.
2: They want to "save horsepower" so they remove the factory fan clutch and its drag on the engine.

Don't believe me if you wish, but go do a search for "overheating" on these forums. You'll find plenty of people with e-fans having trouble at low speeds around town.
No sir, it was a genuine spark of interest question. I have never heaed of an issue of such till this thread.

mustangmatt98

Nov 11, 2013
georgia
ATL88Supra;1975829 said:
i have my old clutch fan set up here its a NA fan with a new Clutch i will give it to you for free

I would like the fan and clutch but I don't know when I'll be in atlanta anytime soon.(I'm in Augusta)

I will PM you when I plan to make a trip that way. thanks.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I'm definitely a fan of oem fan and shroud.
In fact, i just ordered a brand new oem fan and shroud 2 hours ago.
$180 for both shipped. Ive had the Flexalite 210's on my car before, and i switched back.
They do the job just fine, but are noisier, and heaven forbid the fan switch, fuse, or relay dies. Then you overheat.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
anyone have any comparisons of running with or without the shroud? My shroud broke on me and have been running without one without any noticeable difference. Just curious if anyone has had any problems doing this.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I think you'd be fine without the shroud, until your oem type rad begins building blockage/ calcification at all, and you're in warmer temps. But at ~$75 for a new one, why would you risk overheating?

mustangmatt98

Nov 11, 2013
georgia
ATL88Supra;1975829 said:
i have my old clutch fan set up here its a NA fan with a new Clutch i will give it to you for free

Not sure if my PM went through can't find where it has been sent but my girlfriend is in atlanta. could I send her by for the fan?

Last edited: