87 Hardtop Turbo-- Hatch leaking

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
Hi guys, having a bit of a problem here. My hatch will not quit leaking water, its the actual lift-gate itself, it gets water down inside of the area that holds the wiper motor then drips downwards into the compartment.

Here is what has been replaced/sealed:
a) New OEM lift-gate seal (the big one around opening)
b) New OEM center spoiler seal, the 2 outside ones I put RTV around the bolts.
c) New OEM tail light seals
d) New OEM side marker light seals
e) New OEM wiper motor to lift-gate seal/nut

The very bottom piece of glass molding I took off and put RTV around each one of the bolts as well.

Even after all this, it still leaks into. Im starting to get very frustrated. I know its the lift-gate but where now, the only things I have not checked are the side glass moldings (which I dont want to remove due to them being easy to bend and im sure expensive from the dealer), and the 2 wire loom seals at the top under the edge. I highly doubt it would be the loom seals, they are UNDER the top edge, but ya never know I guess.

If I had to guess I might say it comes from the sides in the hollow channel down to the bottom valley of the lift-gate, but im really not to sure.

So, what else can I check, who has experience with this.

Thanks again,
--Steven

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
Get in the car and have someone hose it down real good. Or set up a sprinkler and sit inside till you see where its leaking. Where is the water at when you see it?

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Txsupra;1557694 said:
Get in the car and have someone hose it down real good. Or set up a sprinkler and sit inside till you see where its leaking. Where is the water at when you see it?
If you do that, start from bottom to top.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
If you've changed the seals, then it'll be the glass seal itself. If you're exceptionally lucky, you can pull the surrounding moldings, seal it with silicone, and put the moldings back. If you're NOT exceptionally lucky, you'll destroy your moldings, and the silicone won't seal it either.

steveaw11

Feb 18, 2009
georgia
Yeah, im going to buy all the surrounding trim for the hatch glass (to reseal the glass) come Feb (taxes) they are about $480 total for all for pieces, not happy about that, but seems i cannot avoid it now.

Thing that gets me is it gets into the tray that covers the wiper motor, so if it was leaking its running down the hollow sections on the side of the hatch, but hey maybe resealing the glass and all will fix it.