87 7MGTE auto: car starts then stalls within 10 seconds

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Car was running fine a few weeks ago before I took off/put on the upper/lower IM, throttle body, TPS, IAC (all the associated crap) and new rear brake rotors/calipers. Also took off the IC piping and put it back on. Same IC pipes, same manifolds.

Went to start it up, wouldn't start...forgot to plug in IAT for my VPC. Plugged it in, car started. Gave it a quick rev...it sounded good for the tiniest second and then it sounded like it was bogging. A few seconds later it stalled. Every start after this revving it will cause it to stall and it will stall on its own within 10 seconds.

-My AFR gauge starts to run REAL lean before it stalls.
-Fuel pressure gauge is reading mid 30s psi after I get out and poke my head into the bay after the engine has stalled (MKIV denso pump)
-VPC is working, as my emanage blue says it is receiving an AFM input and sending out an AFM signal
-Emanage has an anti engine stall setting wihch clamps idle afm frequency to a certain value...car stalls whether this is on or not.
-AFM signal does not fluctuate during the second or two the rpms are dropping, but it does lower until it gets near 0 (completely stalled, 0 rpm)
-The only engine code is code #11 which was present before all this happened and appeared suddenly...I'm thinking a loose wire with the VPC/EMB installation

I did a bunch of searching and found that it could be a few things...computer not getting spark confirmation and fuel pump relay were the most common. I'll be checking those in a little bit via the TSRM as well as the IAT (wouldn't be surprised if its a 10k thermistor).

In the meantime, anyone have any other ideas?

-----------------------------------
edit: I can jumper FP and B+ in the diag box and it will stay running but the idle 'surges'. Goes from normal to 18 ish then back to 14.7...idle drops accordingly.

If I jab the throttle, car hiccups. If I give it ~20% it stalls. If I floor it, it hiccups but then revs up, although it seems a bit slower than before.
-----------------------------------
edit no. 2: It idles now without the jumper in, but the aerom. AFPR gauge jumps very fast between 35 and 40. If I push on the throttle linkage it stalls and the gauge shows 45 or something, then drains back down to 30 ish.

Last edited: