861/2 radio

usa203

Oct 11, 2009
new castle, pa
I recently purchased my Supra and the radio tape unit is not functioning. Trying to keep the Supra original, what other Toytas use the same or similar radio and do any also have a cd player that will fit?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The original radios typically all have electrolytic capacitors that have dried out. Finding someone else's "same vintage" radio won't help you. You can replace all the microminiature caps (mouser sells them) and it should restore the radio operation but it is very labor intensive. I went down this path and was able to restore the radio and tape player (replaced the belts and lubed the mechanism) to get back to normal functionality. I never could get the CD transport to work again though. It would play a little, then stall. I tried aligning it with the available adjustments but it was hopeless. I think the transport just plain wore out and there are no replacement transports available anymore.

Best bet is to install a newer Toyota radio. Stuff from the Tundra (up to 2002) fits and looks stock.

bhmsupra

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2008
It's Not Important Bro
And if you go the way that Forced Torque suggests, I have a "Extremely Mint" 1991 OEM / stock 2 den deck with built in cassette player for sale. PM me if interested.