86.5 MKIII SUPRA windows

supera

Jan 19, 2008
Manitoba
Where would the fuses be located for the power windows in my supra. I cant find a fuse that says pw pwrwin or anything that might be the windows fuse. my window goes down, but not back up. We've eliminated that the wires in the door are fooked but thats about it. Any help?

ZFast300Z

Trouble
Dec 15, 2007
Wisconsin
I dont have an supra wiring diagrams sitting right in front of me, but 99% of the time if a window works in one direction and not the other, there is a problem with the switch. (Ofcourse this is the GM tech in me talking)

ZFast300Z

Trouble
Dec 15, 2007
Wisconsin
Which window is not rolling up. If its the drivers side, it could only be the master switch (driver side). If its he passenger side, then see if it rolls up from either switch. I could get into detail about how to test each one of the curcuits but without a TSRM, i would be giving you such vague information it wouldnt help.

Is there an online 86.5 TSRM? For that matter is there an online TSRM for an 89? How bout a downloadedable version. We have all these things for 300zx's and it really makes helping a person diag the problem a lot easier. If you can get me a TSRM, I can walk you right through the process of diag your problem.

ZFast300Z

Trouble
Dec 15, 2007
Wisconsin
Toyota Service Repair Manual. I would suspect a fault drivers side switch then. They easiest was to test is to pull the switch out and test for continuity of the switch in its different positions.

EDIT:
Did a search and surprise surprise I found an online TSRM. I would suggest downloading it.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
CygnusX1 has an on-line TSRM. It's for a 1990 model, but it works.

Actually, I've found that 9 times out of 10, in the Supra, it's the passenger side switch that's at fault.

The wiring is done so that it requires that neutral contact (or agreeing contact) must happen in both switches so the the window motor will operate. If the switches are reversed, the window motor will do nothing. This is a more or less normal wiring setup for power windows.

The driver's side switch is a sealed unit. The passenger side one can be disassembled. There are 2 copper bars inside the switch, and contact plates for them. These parts can be (And probably need to be) disassembled and cleaned. Clean the contact plates while you're at it. Use some electrical contact grease on the parts afterwards, or (like me) you'll find that your fix doesn't last for too long before you need to do it again.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
ive had problems with both switches.

take them out. dismantle them, and get a bit of emery paper (sand paper or whatever its called in the us) and clean up the contacts.

rebuild the switch

easy job and its usually the cause of problems with these switches