86.5-88 tps but 89+ ecu?

reincaster

Dec 25, 2009
Guam
So I'm swapping an 87 turbo motor into an 89 shell, and I have the 89 harness already, but wiill I need to replace the tps with the 89+ part?

Crazybobmundo

Mar 24, 2006
Nashua, NH
The plugs are the same.
But I think the orientation of the tabs inside the TPS itself are different in 89. Not that that will be an issue if that motor is complete with its own sensors.

SupraDupra500

Apr 29, 2005
Terre Haute, Indiana
I thought there were two wires different on the 89+ ecu? A couple of transposed wires on the ecu plug its self. Maybe I'm mistaken? Not trying to deter or freak anyone out, just trying to prevent damage. As I said though, maybe I'm mistaken.

SupraDupra500

Apr 29, 2005
Terre Haute, Indiana
Well what I was putting in question was if the connector at the ECU was different I thought there were a couple subtle differences. But I mis-read part way through the thread, my mistake. Disregard my earlier post.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
i dont think that the connector is different just that between n/a and turbo its flipped. i dont know for sure tho and would like to really know the answer.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Both N/A and Turbo used both types of TPS at different times during production. Depending on month/year. They are all electronically interchangeable. The only difference is the orientation of the tangs that turn the TPS on the throttle body.

Somewhere on here I posted information about what years/models used which type.

Jeff

reincaster

Dec 25, 2009
Guam
Jeff Lange;1513348 said:
Both N/A and Turbo used both types of TPS at different times during production. Depending on month/year. They are all electronically interchangeable. The only difference is the orientation of the tangs that turn the TPS on the throttle body.

Somewhere on here I posted information about what years/models used which type.

Jeff

So I will be fine right? Thanks Jeff!

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
reincaster;1513366 said:
So I will be fine right? Thanks Jeff!

You're not even swapping the TPS? Then yes, you're fine. otherwise you just need to make sure the tabs in each TPS is clocked the same way. Seriously people, this isn't as big of a deal as most seem to think.

reincaster

Dec 25, 2009
Guam
CRE;1513368 said:
You're not even swapping the TPS? Then yes, you're fine. otherwise you just need to make sure the tabs in each TPS is clocked the same way. Seriously people, this isn't as big of a deal as most seem to think.

I was just planning to use the tps already on the motor. It was just a question I had while waiting for parts to come in before I do the swap. If I needed to change the tps, better to find out now than after swapping the motor and delaying the process.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
You're fine. As Jeff said, they'll all the same electrically... same plug and same pinout.