84 trans am

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
you can buy my 91 trans am nad have the clean interior and the TPI gear :) otherwise, ls1 or any derivative, is a perfect motor for the 3rd gen.

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
ya im thinking about redoing the body completly ordering some authentic year one parts drop in a fresh ls1 or a 427 stroker from katech or latemodel engines and sell it for like 7 grand

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Good luck getting that much...

Third gens are harder on the wallet than a MKIII Supra because their build quality is crap...

Isphius

May 30, 2006
long branch
With any fuel injection system from GM, Yes i will agree with you. But the body and interior, nothing you will ever need to replace is really that expensive. And with that, outside of the shitty ECMs/electronics, and crappy overdrive transmission design, there is really not much to break on a stock car. Modding, a supra or even a mustang will win hands down in my book, but stock for stock its not a huge difference. the axles transmission and rear suspension cant take a whole lot of power tho. And if your just doing this to try to turn a profit, there is a 90% chance it wont happen. Esp not with an 84. Nobody really wants 3rd gens any more :(

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, weak axle, weak suspension, weak tranny...

Interior pieces are complete shit, ect...

I still like them, but my bro got out of his for a reason.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Just through a custom LS2 swap in their with a built 4l60e and call it a day. When the rear goes out, and it will go out, replace it stronger and better. Make it a drag car and call it a day. You WILL NOT see any of your money back if you do this...believe me.

Buddy had a 1997 T/A with that rare orangish color, built LT1, Built Tans, new rear end, new interior parts, guages, full drag suspension, one off true duals. Drivetrain had like 5k miles on it. He sold it for 5k with two set of drag rims. His engine was worth that alone.

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
thanks to everyone. I am actulyl going to be ordering mt 2j block in a couple of months and head and start building and pick up a na mk4 in summer to swap it into. But on the trans am spec. I fing LOVE LOVE LOVE 3rd gens. I at the age of 13 fully built a ls1 and put it in a 88 camaro lol. couldn't drive it but back when my dad was alive he woudl drive it and it was quick as a motha fucka. Needless to say the tires went through like nothing lol :naughty:. But my lil crew/(soon to be shop) are building a 383 stroker with th400 in my buddys 85 camaro. 100shot on the motor too be added ocne the car is repaitned and the suspension is finished. Shes was quick b4 the motor came out.:naughty: i want a 98 TA just cus when that 4th/5th gen body stule came out i died and wanted one for ever

Isphius

May 30, 2006
long branch
If you want to make money, get it running with as many used and junkyard parts as possible, and try to hock it off on someone.

If not, Go for this.

lq4 truck block, 6.0 Liter(sold in everything) ~$1000$

l92 truck heads, stock (from escalade) ~$900

comp cam(forget specs, look in car craft), MSD ignition controller, GMPP carb manifold for big ports, and an 850 double pumper. Proven to make 550hp at almost 7000 rpms, On mostly stock GM parts and a carb! Those heads are ls7 castings with smaller ports and smaller less high tech valves. No titanium here! But still they flow 300 CFM out of the box. Pretty impressive if you ask me, especially considering they are cheaper than most aftermarket heads and there still aluminum. You wont need an ecu, high pressure pump, and you can sell off the fuel injection gear if you get that with the block. That plus a 3200lb 3rd gen(if its a hardtop) = sick. Im doing this if the army pays up that 20 grand enlistment bonus as cash. That or a 2jz mk3. OOOOhhh the choices :0

PS as mentioned, this will kill the axle. If you use stock tires it should be ok as they will just roast away before the axle breaks, but if you get any kind of traction it will kill it. You will also need a th350/400 or t56 from an ls1 car. Oh and maybe ls1 accessories and pullies. I know the truck setup hits the throttle body, but im not sure if it fits under the hood. with a carb the TB problem is solved. Maybe you can use the truck stuff, im not entirely sure.

jm0597

El Mecanico
Jul 4, 2006
New Jersey
OP with the engines choices you mentioned don't forget to weld in some subframe connectors. This cars have very low torsional rigidity. Trust me I have an 84 too. Good luck.

Thor20

May 18, 2008
DFW Texas
Poodles;1176109 said:
Yep, weak axle, weak suspension, weak tranny...

Interior pieces are complete shit, ect...

I still like them, but my bro got out of his for a reason.

Yes I did......

I had an 86 T/A. I put an L98 350 out of a Vette and spent $1000 on a trans after the swap. The only thing nice was the rear end. It had the Borg Warner 9 bolt rear end in it that was WAY stronger than the crappy 10 bolt. It was pretty fast and the LT-1 guys HATED me from a stop light. That being said I miss the car but wont do one again.

You also wont turn any profit off of the car. I got $3000 for mine after apending that on the motor alone.

On another note they will handle better than a mkiii easily and there are alot of parts for the suspension. Go try to find a 9 bolt rear in the junk yard. They have bearing like the 9 inch Ford rears with a cover plate instead of a whole thord member. As a matter of fact I still have some interior parts for mine.

Isphius

May 30, 2006
long branch
The stock rears will take some abuse just not drag radials and abuse. Ive seen some that last with 350s and drag radials, just not beaten up. I still say go with an iron 5.3 or 6.0. The 5.0 heads are almost identical to LS1 heads and the 6.0 stock parts arent bad either. But spending 3-4 grand getting a 550hp motor built, and installed, is pretty awesome in its own right