8 Years Have Passed, Now What?

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
I just recently hit my 8 year service obligation date. I'm FREE! (right?) ;)

What should I expect for paperwork? Am I issued a new DD 214? How can I obtain a current record of service since my 'release' 214 doesn't have up-to-date box 13 and 14 info. I know what I did but it's nice to be able to show it to the grandkids.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Boostedstr8six said:
I just recently hit my 8 year service obligation date. I'm FREE! (right?) ;)

What should I expect for paperwork? Am I issued a new DD 214? How can I obtain a current record of service since my 'release' 214 doesn't have up-to-date box 13 and 14 info. I know what I did but it's nice to be able to show it to the grandkids.

Are you sure you want to get out? It's hard to imagine, but you could be retired in the year 2018. You'll be a ripe old age of 39......

With that said, you'll know what to look for in 13 & 14 because it's what you did & where. The trick is, as I'm finding out is all of the little coded boxes near the bottom. There's one near the bottom right hand corner, I forget the number, but it's the "Reentrance Code". Make sure your entered code is "1". If not, make them giv you a good explaintion why it isn't....

Think about it, retired at 39.....

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
Well did you get "out" at your 4 or 6 year mark and still have the remaining 2 yrs? Or did you just do 2 four year enlistments and are now getting out? The way mine contract is setup is that I am gonna get out in August. That will have been 4.7 years for me. But I still have a remaining 3.3 yrs as some sort of ready reserve or something like that. Basically the only way they would call me up is if they had some sort of draft or something like that. But after your 8 yr olbligation your done! Basically for those not familiar with the military is you can enlist for 4 or 6 yrs. But you have a total of 8 yrs on "military service" regardless. Basically they can call you up after you get out from your first enlistment if there is some sort of draft or something like that.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
I am separating in 2 weeks after over 9 years. You shouldn't be given a form 214 until your last day in the service - your 214 review is not scheduled until the day of your base final-out [last day in the military]. If anything is incorrect, I imagine that's the time to bring it up.
By the way, start your outprocessing as soon as possible - if you have to rush it due to "mission requirements" people get their panties in a bunch.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
In addition to the retirement Mark talks about, you will also be eligible for military medical benefits (Tricare)...it's not a bad medical and costs about $400 a year for you and a spouse. Compare that to company plans now-and-days that cost you $200 a month and the difference is huge ;)

Going into the reserves is an option too...the biggest difference is you are not eligible to get retirement benefits until age 60. Plus the reserves can be more disruptive...you have a good paying job and get activated for a year. Your employer has to take you back, but if your civilian job pay exceeds your military pay, you effectively take a pay cut for that year. It's even worse if you own/run a business...I know a couple of guys that a reserve activation basically shut their business down because there was no one around to run it!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Allan_MA70 said:
you guys tend to forget the increased risk of geting dead at age now or just ignore the fact?

Nope...don't ignore it...it's simply part of the deal. The military (especially the Army and Marines right now) is at risk of ending up that way. You don't ignore it, but you can't dwell on it either. Serving your country can put you at personal risk.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Allan_MA70 said:
you guys tend to forget the increased risk of geting dead at age now or just ignore the fact?

I don't have the ability to chose my day of death, regardless of what I'm doing & where I'm doing it at. No one does, so I prepared to die at any time.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
jdub said:
Ouch!!! Guess that makes Tricare an even better deal ;)

LOL, you caught me before the edit....:biglaugh:

Two years ago, my oldest son broke his arm.....TWICE!!! The first time required surgery, the second time didn't. I shelled out over $30k, out of pocket no less, that year. :nono:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Do you get another DD 214? Did you get out and go back? I think he means he got out at 4, 5, or 6, or whatever, and now has hit the end of the contract. Then no, you don't get another one.

You should get a letter saying have a nice life, from somebody in the IRR.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
rakkasan said:
Think about it, retired at 39.....
what do you do with the rest of your life then? 50+ years as a long ass time to stretch fulfill that 'things I wanna do when I get out' list. Some people need structure. Being retired doesn't have much structure. but what the hell do I know, I'm just a bored 20 yr old trying to entertain himself on his lunch break at work.:icon_surp

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
Nick M said:
Do you get another DD 214? Did you get out and go back? I think he means he got out at 4, 5, or 6, or whatever, and now has hit the end of the contract. Then no, you don't get another one.

You should get a letter saying have a nice life, from somebody in the IRR.

I went in Oct '98, did my four years of active, separated oct '02, and I just passed the end of my total obligation of 8yrs. It was definitely a tough decision to get out. I would have re-upped during my second 'tour' in OEF (while stop lossed BTW) and as a 1A5 the bonus would have been around 30 grand, tax free. Man, our AC was on my ass about staying in or trying to talk me into going OSI (which was tempting). In the end I gave up a pretty cool job (AWACS aircrew) but also don't have to deal with all the BS that comes with service. The term Catch 22 comes to mind...

Anyway, my DD 214 doesn't list all of the awards and decs I received and I'd like to have an accurate record. Just thought I'd see what others may have gotten after their service. Otherwise, I guess it's off to wonderful VA land and filling out SF-180s.