7mgte

CrazySupra

Sep 28, 2010
North alabama
Had motor rebuilt and installed an oil filter relocation setup. When I start the car it knocks for 5 seconds like the oil is not getting there fast enough. what oil is everybody using as far as grade?

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
May wanna add a little more to the title so you get the attention of the people who know what the answer is
And use the search function, there is several lengthy threads on what kind/how much/what weight oil to use

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
CrazySupra;1945795 said:
Had motor rebuilt and installed an oil filter relocation setup. When I start the car it knocks for 5 seconds like the oil is not getting there fast enough. what oil is everybody using as far as grade?

jetjock;1945830 said:
If only oil was his problem...

I'm feeling generous so here it goes.

Crazy: there is no wrong oil weight off the shelf that will give your engine 5 seconds of knocking.

Your problem is not the type of oil used.

Perhaps if you explain in detail how you set up your relocation we can help determine the root cause.

Or, you can respond in half phrases asking about other unrelated issues while other clueless people give you bad ideas.

One of the aforementioned scenarios has been running rampant through this forum lately...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Once your engine is warmed up completely, hold the throttle open slightly, to get the rpms areound 2500-3000.
any rattle-sound then?
You see, my MR2 has slight rod knock, and when I start it cold in the morning, it knocks for about 3 seconds, then goes dead quiet until its fully warmed up. Then I can hear
that rodknock rattle at part throttle 2500-3000rpm.

CrazySupra

Sep 28, 2010
North alabama
Well thanks for the responses. When I start the car from a cold start something knocks for about 2-5 seconds then everything good. If the car is hot it does not do it. I thought maybe the oil was wrong weight or the oil relocation was causing it. The oil relocation was moved to front of car below passenger headlight. It had a new aisin oil pump installed when rebuilt. The rod bearings were changed during rebuild.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Mine does the same thing. I've held the throttle at various RPM's and can't get it to repeat. Oil pressure is still good, I'm buying a mechanical gauge to verify it. I do know that some of my valves are out of spec for the shims.