7MGTE, Truck Motor Torque Build (7MGTE + GT3071R discussion)

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
kaiser;1912276 said:
For inter cooling I will just be running a straight pipe from turbo to the 3000 pipe but down the road I will be replacing the 3000 pipe with a water to air inter cooler.

Please please please don't do this, don't cheap out. You really want to risk all of this just over not getting the proper things before hand?

kaiser

Jul 22, 2010
Thunder Bay
Tranny Info!

I decided to Hybrid an R154 with an R150F

Here are the two transmissions beside eachother
p1912365_1.jpg

p1912365_2.jpg

p1912365_3.jpg

I rebuilt them using the Supra (R154) Input shaft, counter shaft and gears so I could use the R154 bellhousing.
THe output shaft was from the R150F and I had the supra gears pressed onto it. Unfortunately I am stuck with the Chain case for now but shouldnt be an issue untill I start abusing it...oh and get a front drive shaft lol

ANYWAY
All new synchros and bearings
p1912365_4.jpg

as well as Marlin intermediate plate
p1912365_5.jpg

Marlin crawler 1-2 Shift fork
p1912365_6.jpg

as well as the marlin crawler thrust washer (no pic)

kaiser

Jul 22, 2010
Thunder Bay
IndigoMKII;1912356 said:
Please please please don't do this, don't cheap out. You really want to risk all of this just over not getting the proper things before hand?

What issues could I run into, Keep in mind the Ambient temp is MUCH lower where I am I am at stock boost.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
kaiser;1912372 said:
What issues could I run into, Keep in mind the Ambient temp is MUCH lower where I am I am at stock boost.

But also keep in mind, you said it yourself. Low cooling under heavy loads. That means the engine bay will heat up quickly along with the compressor housing. So you're blowing super heated compressed air into an engine under low cooling condition at high loads, detonation.

kaiser

Jul 22, 2010
Thunder Bay
IndigoMKII;1912397 said:
But also keep in mind, you said it yourself. Low cooling under heavy loads. That means the engine bay will heat up quickly along with the compressor housing. So you're blowing super heated compressed air into an engine under low cooling condition at high loads, detonation.

True this is a risk. However I did not explain myself. I only have a rear drive shaft because it had to be custom fabricated by a shop. I did not have money in the budget yet for a front shaft. This in essence neuters the truck for off road purposes and the off road is where the slow speeds heavy load issue arises.
I plan to have the Inter cooler in by then.

egesledder

Mar 26, 2012
Boulder, CO
IndigoMKII;1912397 said:

I'm actually running a setup identical to what kaiser is describing and I haven't had any issues with overheating while offroading. I am, however, mainly slow speed rock crawling, so I'm not really ever making a lot of boost. I've been snow wheeling a couple times this winter though and didn't have an issue either, although it was really friggin' cold out... Boost makes snow wheeling soooo much more interesting.

I'm also planning on running a w/a intercooler at some point, but for now, this is working fine.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
egesledder;1912595 said:
I'm actually running a setup identical to what kaiser is describing and I haven't had any issues with overheating while offroading. I am, however, mainly slow speed rock crawling, so I'm not really ever making a lot of boost. I've been snow wheeling a couple times this winter though and didn't have an issue either, although it was really friggin' cold out... Boost makes snow wheeling soooo much more interesting.

I'm also planning on running a w/a intercooler at some point, but for now, this is working fine.

Overheating isn't the issue, it's the extremely high intake air temperatures which will cause detonation inside the cylinders. The intercooler cools the intake charge from like 400 to 200 which helps with detonation. It's also why people with high psi on pump gas normally use meth injection, to help further cool the intake charge.

kaiser

Jul 22, 2010
Thunder Bay
egesledder;1912595 said:

Hey! You're on here from Yotatech! Hi!

IndigoMKII;1912610 said:
Overheating isn't the issue, it's the extremely high intake air temperatures which will cause detonation inside the cylinders. The intercooler cools the intake charge from like 400 to 200 which helps with detonation. It's also why people with high psi on pump gas normally use meth injection, to help further cool the intake charge.

Hmm, well hopefully it will be fine to drive 800km of open highway from Thunder Bay to Timmins come May...assuming I can get it to Run...

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
kaiser;1912624 said:
Hmm, well hopefully it will be fine to drive 800km of open highway from Thunder Bay to Timmins come May...assuming I can get it to Run...
Just remember, the 7M is prone to BHG on a good day, throw some knock in the mix and you're looking at a very expensive "hopefully".
-AM3

kaiser

Jul 22, 2010
Thunder Bay
True, I have done everything I can to prevent BHG. MHG, ARP, Decked head and block (and timing cover).

But you are right, it is a risk

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
I dig this thread out because I'm building my engine and also do want low end torque/power.

I will be running E85. I have a 7mgte with A340 A/T, almost full stock.
E85 mean low combustion speed and so it doesn't worth going high in the rpm.

I'm not looking in a diesel power band, but almost :p

I've been thinking about 7mge head with cam, or even 5mge head, ported with bigger exhaust valve. 12V head will bring low end torque, and as less turbulence around the valve, probably allow more compression (even more with E85)

What do you think of that? That is in the topic of the unanswered OP question about cams.

kaiser

Jul 22, 2010
Thunder Bay
Rollus;1923414 said:
I've been thinking about 7mge head with cam, or even 5mge head, ported with bigger exhaust valve. 12V head will bring low end torque, and as less turbulence around the valve, probably allow more compression (even more with E85)

What do you think of that? That is in the topic of the unanswered OP question about cams.

Someone on here said that porting (esp enlarging port size) while yielding more power in higher RPM, would be detrimental to low rpm power. I have not yet been able to confirm this but just a thought.

About the 7MGE head, I do believe it is identical to the GTE head with the exception of the intake cam. The compression difference is created in the pistons of the 7M.

As for 12V head, will it bold on? Out of curiosity what is the reasoning behind less valves equating to more low end?

OK Update

Purchased and installed RC550 to go with my V8 MAF sensor housing. Also Purchased PLX DM-6 AFR Gauge.

Now I do not have a SAFC BUT I do have an adjustable FPR.

I know the 550 will run the engine pig rich, can i compensate by turning down the FPR? Or is that bad juju?

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
kaiser;1926278 said:
Anyone? FPR capable to lean out Lex AFM/550 issue?

It may, but depending of the amount of correction.
If pressure is too low, atomisation, will be bad..

Envoyé depuis mon GT-N7100 avec Tapatalk

kaiser

Jul 22, 2010
Thunder Bay
Hmmm, I am just afraid of running tooo rich and affecting break in of my rings because of too much fuel on the cyl walls.

Tu habite dans la ville tres belle (Paris) mon ami? Ou tu habite dans la province tres belle (quebec)? Lol