7mgte starts runs rough then dies

K3vdaw6

Jul 1, 2015
canada
hello all. close to stock 1989 supra turbo w/r154
Having some issues. Sometimes(not all the time) when I start my supra its runs really rough then dies. If I start it and keep the revs up, put it in gear and go it wont die. sounds like its missing a couple cylinders when it runs rough like that. even when I rev it up when its rough it sounds like its missing a couple cylndrs but as soon as I put her in first and drive even 10 feet the prob goes away. It only does it once every few startups. Once its goin it runs great and pulls hard its just the startup that's givin me probs.

Any thoughts?

Havent done much to it lately just new belts. It easily passed an emission test yesterday.

Last edited:

Billybob9187

Mar 9, 2015
Stockton Ca
sounds like the same problem I had with me Expedition after installing a K&N. The Maf sensor gets dirty from the oil collecting things on the sensor wires. I would buy some MAF sensor cleaner and see if that fixes it.

K3vdaw6

Jul 1, 2015
canada
I had the intake system off when I did the valve cover gaskets. cleaned it all up. throttle body, IC piping etc. nothing excessive in there just a little oil. im currently looking into the cps,tps, or possibly the fuel pump is dying. I tried to get a video of it but of course it wouldn't do it. gonna have to be recording every time I start it to catch it

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Do you only have this problem when the car is warm? If so, I've got something similar, but the car never dies. Just runs a little rough until I give it a little gas, then it's fine.

K3vdaw6

Jul 1, 2015
canada
ya its only when its warm. never does it in the morning or anytime its had enough time to cool completely. but mine will die if I don't give it gas. usually I just rev it to 12-1500rpm and after a few seconds itll pass. if I rev it up higher it sounds awful like its missing a couple cylinders.

Blackmk3

Apr 10, 2006
New Zealand
If its not throwing codes, then id be checking basic maintenance. check the spark plugs, check the ignition timing with TE1 and E1 shorted
Check the condition of the connections at the coil pack, plug wires

Is the spark valley full of oil?

K3vdaw6

Jul 1, 2015
canada
Just changed the plugs about 2 months ago after i took out the plug valley cover to put fipg on the bolts that hold it down cuz the center gasket was toast and was leakin oil but its nice and dry now. I do remember noticing some discoloration in my #3 coil. I think my buddy has a spare coilpack ill c if he'll let me borrow it and c if it still does it. Probably going to do a c.o.p. mod to clean up the top of the motor anyway