7MGTE Smoking when warm up

al lewis

Mar 3, 2007
dominica
:nono: Hey guys got a headache yesterday when i saw that my car started smoking when warmed up. Recently put on 60-1 CT from Albert have been beating on it since the day i got it for about 2 months now and now my car is letting go whiteish bluish smoke on idle. I know straight of some are gona say blown head gasket but i've done all supporting mods boost was set at 15psi. Yesterday checked my spark plugs and still changed them out and their were no signs of oil on there, changed my oil as well and no sign of water, no sign of oil in my coolant either, the car does not overheat and does not have no engine miss/stumble besides the smoke it runs perfect. What could be the cause of this. Could this be a bad turbo, or has my engine decided its time to rest?:nono::1zhelp:

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Um, did you ever let the turbo break in before you started beating on it? I'm sure rebuilt turbos need a break in period before you really push them.

Have you pulled the downpipe and checked for seeping oil on the turbine?

Last edited:

al lewis

Mar 3, 2007
dominica
IndigoMKII;1903041 said:
Um, did you ever set the turbo break in before you started beating on it? I'm sure rebuilt turbos need a break in period before you really push them.

Have you pulled the downpipe and checked for seeping oil on the turbine?

I'll be honest the car ran so great after slapping on the turbo i never went easy on it i'll be pulling off the downpipe thursday so i'll let you know

al lewis

Mar 3, 2007
dominica
Enraged;1903082 said:
did you prime the turbo when you installed it? if not, thats a good way to kill them in short order...

How do you prime the turbo? after we installed it i cranked the car around 5 times to get oil pressure up and into the system is this what you are talking about?

al lewis

Mar 3, 2007
dominica
Yea i did that but was beating on it from the start. i'll be pulling the downpipe out tomorrow to see if there's oil in there.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
al lewis;1903218 said:
How do you prime the turbo? after we installed it i cranked the car around 5 times to get oil pressure up and into the system is this what you are talking about?

Leave the oil return line off and wait for oil to come out the return. You positively know oil is in the turbo by then.

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
If there is too much positive pressure in your block it will restrict your oil being returned into your pan, increasing the oil pressure in the turbo causing oil to seep past the rear piston ring on the shaft.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
Why do alot of guys insist on guessing instead of proper diagnosis? 1st step: Determine the health of the engine. Compression and leak down test. 2nd, Examine crankcase ventilation system.

al lewis

Mar 3, 2007
dominica
jetjock;1903704 said:
^ It's all they know. This forum is filled with post after post where flailing away is substituted for intelligent and logical troubleshooting. It never ceases to amaze me.

Hey guys chill i'll be doing a compression test and leak down test this weekend so i'll let you know the results.

al lewis

Mar 3, 2007
dominica
jetjock;1903704 said:
^ It's all they know. This forum is filled with post after post where flailing away is substituted for intelligent and logical troubleshooting. It never ceases to amaze me.

Ok guys did a dry compression test today and the results were as follows No.6 150 No.5 148 No.4 150 No.3 150 No.2 150 No.149
So that means that my engine is in great health, Which points me back to the Turbo wasn't able to pull off the down pipe today due to an emergency so i'll be tackling it during the week. I spoke to albert and he suggested that my pcv system might be a cause as well?

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
al lewis;1904264 said:
Ok guys did a dry compression test today and the results were as follows No.6 150 No.5 148 No.4 150 No.3 150 No.2 150 No.149
So that means that my engine is in great health, Which points me back to the Turbo wasn't able to pull off the down pipe today due to an emergency so i'll be tackling it during the week. I spoke to albert and he suggested that my pcv system might be a cause as well?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
al lewis;1903030 said:
:nono: Yesterday checked my spark plugs and still changed them out and their were no signs of oil on there, changed my oil as well and no sign of water, no sign of oil in my coolant either, the car does not overheat and does not have no engine miss/stumble besides the smoke it runs perfect.

bluepearl;1903496 said:
Why do alot of guys insist on guessing instead of proper diagnosis? 1st step: Determine the health of the engine. Compression and leak down test. 2nd, Examine crankcase ventilation system.

No sign of oil on plugs, no oil in water or vise versa and the engine doesn't overheat.

This right here determines the health of the engine obviously isn't in 'poor' condition.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
IndigoMKII;1904712 said:
No sign of oil on plugs, no oil in water or vise versa and the engine doesn't overheat.

This right here determines the health of the engine obviously isn't in 'poor' condition.