7mgte Rod Knock..

Mkiiijoe

Aug 19, 2012
Mo
I work at Autozone and we get some crazy people in there some times, and this guy comes in telling me about his 90 Supra Turbo.

Long story short, he wants to part it out and told me that the engine started knocking then stopped driving it.

Im going there tomorrow (Monday 27th) and taking a look at it, and if everything seems legit, how much should i offer him and would it be worth it to build a 7m capable of 500whp starting with building the 7m.

...And im just going over there to bid on the engine and not the whole car.

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
$100 would be a great deal, IMO. id pay up to $300 for it if it was in good shape otherwise, i.e. unmodified, never had head or block resurfaced, ran stock boost.

Mkiiijoe

Aug 19, 2012
Mo
i plan on doing a new build on it, it will be a little costly because im using all brand new parts and getting rid of parts that are damaged and out of date...which is almost everything. hoping for about 500whp, new everything, bigger bore. new head port and matched. bigger turbo, etc.....

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I paid $200 for mine, didn't know it was rod knocking, but it certainly had been.

In this case though it was a newer block casting (Which a 90 should be) and a 6M crank (Which a 90 should not be) which had never had the block or head resurfaced, and was fairly complete, though partly disassembled. (Intake manifold off, wiring harness detached, but complete and uncut.)

I feel that I got a reasonably good deal on it.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I recently paid 150 for a freshly rebuilt one with arp's and bhg.
Like Dan's, mine was a large rib block with 6m crank.