7mgte rebuild questions

fastazzsupra

Mar 23, 2006
South Carolina
I'm rebuilding my 7mgte b/c of a spun #2 rod bearing. I was hoping to get some opinions and advise on what brands are good and bad. NPR pistons/rings, Eristic gaskets, ROCK gaskets and bearings, Topline, etc. I'm building it for 350-400hp range daily driver. Mods are as follows...ARP head and mains, Garrett T4 on custom manifold with 38mm Deltagate,Full 3inch turboback, Apexi AVCR and TT. This is one of the best mk3 forums I've been on and appreciate and trust any info you guys have on this. Thanks.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
hmm, well all i can think of right now is that if you are aiming for that much power, use a metal head gasket, any ordinary head gasket will blow right away, but so far list seems like a good start, make sure to torque the head to 72 ft. lbs(?) when u install the head back on though, factory spec 52 ft. lbs wont stand up to that much power, hell it cant even hold itself up to stock HP at that!

BTW this should be moved to the 7MGTE technical discussion forum :)

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
most gaskets can be made with FIPG material.

I try not to skimp with any type of shaft gasket. Toyota original is good and wont cost you too much more. A flat gasket is a flat gasket. Use viton on things like valve stem seals. Get good injector seals. If they dont appear to fit they probably dont.

Cometic head gaskets are good too.

fastazzsupra

Mar 23, 2006
South Carolina
Thanks for the tips guys. I've heard that when you use MLS headgaskets, you need a seriously great finish on the head/block. How could I make sure my machine shop doesn't bs me? They quoted me $45 for head and $75 for block plus $125 for bore, hone, and clean. Any advice with this or if anyone knows a qualified machine shop in the Upstate SC area, let me know. THanks.