7mgte rebuild - Need Advice on Gaskets/Hoses

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Been looking around I'm still a bit of a noobie with rebuilding an engine when my dad has dont this before. I NEVER knew how expensive hoses and gaskets really are. We already have all the main seals done, felpro head gasket with arp head studs and all. I'm wondering what gasket sets you reccomend? We already have intake/exhaust gaskets. I've seen one at summit racing for 200$ with everything, a cometic set without head gasket on amazon for 120$. And the DM one for 125 shipped. We ordered parts in at a dealer not even all of them just some coolant lines and random turbo gaskets and they were asking 350...

Also hoses, I'm looking at a ebay silicon hose set for 150$ and just get like 10ft of hose for vacuum lines? Most my hoses are alright but I wouldn't mind the engine dress up either.

Anyways would love advice on what you guys have had success with thank you!

Also random question, is a part out of a 7mge really worth much anything? I'm mostly using it for bolts/nuts I lost on the 7mgte..

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Looked at rockauto I didn't see that odd triangle gasket for that cool distributor I have no idea what it's called on the side of the block aha.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Thanks I already have toyota exhaust and intake.. Since I'm a dummy what does the bottom end gasket set include that the top doesn't? Just like oil pan and main seals? I just need all coolant lines and some for intake/exhaust here and there.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
This shows the difference in the Toyota OEM kit

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=1103&P=2

At a quick glance it looks like the bottom end kit includes these extras:

Rear Main seal housing gasket
Turbo Elbow
Timing cover upper seal
rear timing cover gasket
Water pump gasket
Front crank seal
Front oil pump seal
oil pump metal gasket
Turbo gaskets (oil and coolant)
Fuel Return plate gasket
And a few others.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for the help. Any advice on hoses or just get an ebay silicon kit?

Should I replace anything with the fuel system besides like crush washers and check orings and all?

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I would recommend OEM Toyota gaskets and valve stems seals. I would also use only Toyota hoses. Yes they cost lots of money however they fit correctly and last a long time. I bet a lot of stuff on your car are OEM at 20 plus years old. A lot of people say I am "stupid" because there Fleay bay stuff works just fine. I ask how many miles have you put on them> usually it is still a garage queen., not a road king. On a budget I would go the gates hose set that Driftmotion sells. All IMO.

It makes no since to spend a lot of time and money to cheap out on important stuff. These items are budget busters that most people don't include.

A month or so ago someone lost a turbo on a new rebuild due to accordion hose came apart and destroyed new turbo. Look at how much money he "saved" by not replacing a hard brittle hose.

Yes you should change out all the fuel injector seals and "O" rings that come in the overhaul set. And put in new "crush" gaskets when you have a fuel item removed. And again all of these comes in the gasket set.

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Thanks super. Decided I'll call DM and make sure their gasket set has everything I need. I'm not sure how you can afford paying thousand dollars or so just for coolant gaskets and turbo gaskets and hoses. We asked toyota for just several gaskets on the water hard lines and turbo and some coolant hoses, they wanted almost 400.

Silicon hoses don't age like the OEM ones, but obviously don't work well with gas or oil. I'm going to see what hoses I can keep using but I might just end up getting an ebay silicon hose kit (I know someone of it probably won't fit perfect) and then some extra hose for vacuum lines. Or maybe just reuse what I can and buy the main radiator horses that are most costly and are basically a rock now. Wouldn't mind the cool dressup of blue hoses but if it doesn't even fit what's the point...

Valve seals and all that has already been done by a machine shop when the head was sent in, no idea what they used it was my dad's friend's shop that did it hope it's alright aha.

These were the hoses... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-Ra...7MGE-7MGTE-7M-GT-86-87-88-89-92-/281154807077

egesledder

Mar 26, 2012
Boulder, CO
I bought the Ebay silicone hose set a couple years ago and they've been working fine for the last 12k+ miles. There were a couple random fit issues with some of the small hoses, but I was able to get everything to work.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just a word about vacuum hoses... make sure if you go silicon, they don't collapse when heated. Silcon tends to be a bit more flexible and I was noticing a couple of mine shrinking under vacuum. Not really desirable .

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
im picky. victor reinz or ishino. carquest is usually 100$ cheaper on the set vs toyota and readily available... and its the same parts. i avoid felpro because its the autozone of gaskets. victor reinz (the same company that does clevite) or ishino (stone, oem toyota) is the way to go.

rockauto is terrible why does anyone use them?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Rockauto is terrible??? wtf?

I have saved a ton of money on there. All you have to do is know what your looking for (no Napa guy to help you...)

Replaced my Tundra headlights (both sides, full lens and lights) for 50.00. It costs me 25.00 to replace just the light here...
Bought AISIN master and slave cylinders for 3 Supras that are OEM replacements minus the stealership cost... (65.00 for a set)
Bought Brake rotors/pads, calipers, belts, etc.. etc.. all for mega cheap.. all high quality except for one part ... the Tundra grille.. 65.00 for it and its almost worth it.. but broke after the third hood closing (just like the stock one does).

Rockauto.. um... rocks!

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
When I rebuilt my motor a few years ago I bought a generic gasket set and used most of the smaller random gaskets for the motor except for the HG of course, TB, turbo and elbow gasket, anything that I think would be better off ordering from toyota I went ahead and did that. Some things you just don't want to cheap out on. And btw, I also love Rockauto :D

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Another plug for Rock Auto, especially for gasket kits and other small, or non-OEM parts.

I'm not sure why anyone would hate on Rock Auto. They carry a variety of brands (some premium, some cheap, plenty in between) and offer plenty of parts you can't get through the dealer or which are outrageously priced through a dealer. Fast shipping, great service, and even an SM discount. What more can you ask for?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
ive ordered plenty half the shit i get is wrong and before you know it youve wasted a week waiting on parts - no thanks.

guess i live in a part friendly city i get everything here cheaper than rockauto *shrug*