7MGTE re-assembly

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Well I picked up my "used" 7M from too_stand this past weekend only to find that the engine had a fresh rebuild on it, never ran. So I wanted to go ahead and install a new head gasket, studs and timing belt but I have a few questions.
I do plan on using the ARP head studs but I have already got a new Toyota head gasket. Would the stock HG and studs be fine for under 10 psi or do i need to upgrade to MHG? Also being this far down what other upgrades should I look into.
My plans as far as HP goals are around 300. I plan on getting Lex AFM, 550 injectors, Walbro, AFPR, Titan or BIC down pipe, cat back exhaust, AFC and uprades intercooler and piping. These parts would come after I get the car running again. Thanks, Luke

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97721

Also, if you look at J. Seaman's guide for steps of modification, 300hp is the point at which you would want to put in an MHG. Might as well spend the extra money and do it while you're in there instead of pushing the stock HG to its limit. And I agree that 10psi is fine on the stock head gasket but it will almost certainly take more boost than that to get you to the 300hp mark.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
gaboonviper85;1384888 said:
Worst meaning "not as good as"...cometics perform very well iirc. Hks stopper is the best choice no doubt but nothing wrong with the others.
You are correct. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of them.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
It has been discussed many times, but it is a common consensus that detonation is the root of all evil that causes a properly torqued OEM hg to fail. As long as you are not detonating you should be able to make 300+ on the oem gasket. I have been running my car @ 10-12 lbs for ~10,000 miles without issue on an OEM gasket with 40k miles on it. That said I also have a wideband to monitor A/F's and my car is pig rich under boost varying in the 10's...

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
i know all of those brands/types of mhgs are fine. i hear people talking about hks and cometic/titan more than greddy though. also, i hear people talk about blowing the hks, never heard anyone say anything about blowing a cometic. im not saying it doesnt happen or hasnt been talked about on here. of course it could be that the people swap to hks before the cometic blows when they are going for big power...

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
funky_monkey58;1384683 said:
Yes.

The quality list goes from.
HKS stopper
Hks bead
Greddy
Titan/Cometic

Ive always used Cometic when building high compression atv's at 12.5-14.1 comp, and they've held very well. Im not about to compare atv's to supras but I always thought Cometic was top-shelf quality?

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
Man this whole headgasket thing gets confusing to me. I hear good things about the HKS one but if the head isn't machined practically perfect it will go out. In fact i know a guy who has the HKS one and it blew a few thousand miles after replacement so how is it "the best". I also hear that the failure rate is not due to the headgasket but the actual head bolts and studs. Im gonna go with cometic with ARP studs and bolts or maybe even give the Titan motorsports one a chance but as for the HKS headgasket goes everyone has me scared shitless of that thing. I figured the best one would be the one you didn't have to make sure the head was perfected to even make work for your car, i mean maybe if you made sure the head was as flush as it were for the HKS gasket that maybe even the other ones would out perform it. Someone chime in because this whole hks being the best yet you have to be more meticulous with it thing has me confused!

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
supramk3speed;1391016 said:
Man this whole headgasket thing gets confusing to me. I hear good things about the HKS one but if the head isn't machined practically perfect it will go out. In fact i know a guy who has the HKS one and it blew a few thousand miles after replacement so how is it "the best". I also hear that the failure rate is not due to the headgasket but the actual head bolts and studs. Im gonna go with cometic with ARP studs and bolts or maybe even give the Titan motorsports one a chance but as for the HKS headgasket goes everyone has me scared shitless of that thing. I figured the best one would be the one you didn't have to make sure the head was perfected to even make work for your car, i mean maybe if you made sure the head was as flush as it were for the HKS gasket that maybe even the other ones would out perform it. Someone chime in because this whole hks being the best yet you have to be more meticulous with it thing has me confused!

the Titan headgasket IS a Cometic, just re-badged as Titan...

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
I for one think you should do the MHG.
I even run one on my NA, just to be safe.

And about someone blowing this, or that brand gasket, this old saying comes to mind:
"Build something idiot proof and someone will build a better idiot... "

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
lowtaco;1384610 said:
My plans as far as HP goals are around 300. I plan on getting Lex AFM, 550 injectors, Walbro, AFPR, Titan or BIC down pipe, cat back exhaust, AFC and uprades intercooler and piping. These parts would come after I get the car running again. Thanks, Luke

No need for all the extra fuel and what not for 300 ;) Many members are just running higher boost on the ct-26, intake and 3" exhaust/dp and are making 300+ on stock fuel / clutch. Kind of like me. If anything I need to take fuel OUT. Im running under 10 as soon as I see boost.

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
I wasn't saying the HKS was bad, I was just wondering why everyone thinks it is the god of all headgaskets when there are other options that are easier. Im sorry to be the one to question the almighty HKS headgasket but really what the hell is so awesome about it? Funny quote about the idiot but i really think this is a question that needs to be answered with a degree of seriousness. I mean come on can anyone even give me a good reason? Really i just want to know, not trying to be a jackass.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
supramk3speed;1391360 said:
I wasn't saying the HKS was bad, I was just wondering why everyone thinks it is the god of all headgaskets when there are other options that are easier. Im sorry to be the one to question the almighty HKS headgasket but really what the hell is so awesome about it? Funny quote about the idiot but i really think this is a question that needs to be answered with a degree of seriousness. I mean come on can anyone even give me a good reason? Really i just want to know, not trying to be a jackass.

You could always try to educate yourself before you comment ;)
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=216396&postcount=5

HKS being the "best" comes from the fact they are the only makers of the stopper design. It is superior to the bead type, which they also make along with Cometic and Greddy. All MHG's require a very smooth head/block deck or they will not seal...that includes a Cometic. Anyone that slaps a MHG on a factory finished block deck is asking for it to fail.

That said, IMO you can flip a quarter and choose any of the bead type MHGs and be fine. The HKS does require a lower RA spec though.