7MGTE Noise Problem/Diagnostic

I've got an 89 Turbo Targa Auto brand new CT57 and FMIC kit blah blah blah.
I've had this noise and recently an overheating issue (perhaps due to a bubble in the system? Haven't tested it do to the noise keeping me from driving the car)

[video=youtube;cpIXZ97-Vsc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpIXZ97-Vsc[/video]

Here is a video of me turning the car off, pretty rough to start up, any clues?

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
no idea what that is, kinda sounds like really severe knock... then again, sound quality isnt the best, so i cant tell.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
RogueSteel;1586277 said:
Yeah :/ sorry, its the only camera I have with sound. But it dosen't happen at like 1.5k RPM and up.

That is because the oil pump is spinning faster pushing a larger volume of oil through the engine.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I am not good at sound on the internet. That doesn't sound like a spun bearing. It sounds like rattling to me. I can't tell.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Check the bolts from flex plate to torque converter that the only thing I can think of to make a noise like that and it will sound exactly like that. If it is the bolts loose you should hear the noise at idle and when you rev the motor it will make the noise and when you let off the throttle it will make the noise. If the bolts are loose make sure to check the bolts and the flex plate for damage before just tightening them back down. Just pull the inspection cover off the trans and try to tighten the bolts. See if there loose.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
I'll have to say the same. and yes, those bolts.

metaphysico;1587550 said:
Check the bolts from flex plate to torque converter that the only thing I can think of to make a noise like that and it will sound exactly like that. If it is the bolts loose you should hear the noise at idle and when you rev the motor it will make the noise and when you let off the throttle it will make the noise. If the bolts are loose make sure to check the bolts and the flex plate for damage before just tightening them back down. Just pull the inspection cover off the trans and try to tighten the bolts. See if there loose.

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
RogueSteel;1594105 said:
My next door neighbor called the "neighborhood officer" and I almost got a fine for having it on jack stands so idk WTF to do now :/

WTF??? u cant have it on jackstands in AZ? wow thats super gay. for sure.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
did you tell your neighbor to mind is own damn business and suck your penis? cause thats what i woulda said..he can come over and MAKE me take my car off my jackstands he just better take extra precautions cause ill put his head in a table vice asshole.

anyways..i have a cracked flexplate (or loose bolts not sure yet) i would bet money on that being the case...have you tried putting your ear up against the bell housing or running the car with the inspection cover to just take a listen?

it soudns ALMOST like knock but it dies out after you take it off idle. (below 1k rpm)

its a poopy fix thats why im glad it did it now before i ripped the engine apart..now i can rip them both out in one foul swoop.

EDIT i finally was able to view the video..that sure as fuck is the flexplate :) mine does that exact startup hesitation knock slap crack shit.

Last edited:

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
RogueSteel;1596050 said:
THANKS for the input, gonna buy a flexplate now.
don't forget to get the ARP bolts for the flexplate. they handle way better than the stock bolts..so they wont get loose. or you could get some stock ones and grease it up with locktite :D