7MGTE hoses

Mfendo

Apr 20, 2012
Calgary
Whats up fellas? Im wanting to replace most, if not all, my hoses in my supra. Anyone recommend a place i can buy a set of silicone hoses cut to length and with the specific moulded pieces?

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I would get the "gates" hoses from Driftmotion. If you are on a budget. Otherwise I would get all new OEM Toyota hoses. OEM will run you several hundred dollars. I don't think the silicone hoses will go 10 plus years without fail. IMO

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
super51fan;1973972 said:
I would get the "gates" hoses from Driftmotion. If you are on a budget. Otherwise I would get all new OEM Toyota hoses. OEM will run you several hundred dollars. I don't think the silicone hoses will go 10 plus years without fail. IMO

I generally get the oem stuff from my local dealership. It's just an overall clean look imo. Plus they give me very nice discounts because I bring my business to them along with other guys with old school yotas

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Silicone lasts much, much longer than generic/OEM hoses. No cracking, higher heat tolerance, etc etc...makes removal and re-installation years from now an easy task.

The response to that will probably be 'why didn't Toyota go with silicone hoses', which is a stupid argument...so if you're thinking of posting this go research the chemical and physical properties of silicone vs EPDM.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I dont think silicone had even been considered for automotive hose use back when the supra was built, so...
Does anyone know if any oem manufactures build their cars using stock silicone hoses yet?

80083r

then what? Those are the two most common "rubber" type things I'm familiar with - what are the supra hoses made out of? I'll gladly look it up, if you give me a hint - I can't find it in the manual, or by google.

EDIT: the goodyear replacement hoses seem to be a "proprietary" epdm compound.

EDIT 2: further reading, and flogging my memory suggests that the originals are probably nitrile - which would be a load better (in my opinion) than silicone. Silicone has a lot of advantages, but oil and gas resistance is not one of them, and abrasion resistance is generally horrible for silicone.

I wonder if I can get our rubber extruders here at work to make me some red nitrile with fiber reinforcement...

Last edited:

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
supraguy@aol;1974009 said:
I dont think silicone had even been considered for automotive hose use back when the supra was built, so...
Does anyone know if any oem manufactures build their cars using stock silicone hoses yet?

That wasn't my intention, I was guessing jetjock (as usual) would jump in and offer a snide remark but no factual information. It seems he felt compelled to regardless.

Silicone (not fluorosilicone) shouldn't be used where it comes into contact with oil or fuel, that's it. Temperature characteristics, aging, elasticity, all superior to OEM hoses. I don't need my mechanical engineering degree to weigh the differences, but I guess some of us like being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I bet the JJ fellow is talking about real world results. On most MKIII's and really most old toyota vechicles have alot of hoses that are 25 30 years old. They fit properly and if you make sure the metal fittings are clean and use new Toyota spring clamps they are good for another 20 plus years. Oem Toyota only for me.

But you can do what ever you want. Some of the "smartest people in world" say this or that. I'll stick with the "dumb" Toyota engineers. Just saw a thread about a engine that was destoyed by a "upgraded" oil line failure. Because the supposed crappy OEM part sucks. Yea.

Have a nice day

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
The generic hoses on Ebay, appear to be constructed of two different compounds. The interier material seems somewhat harder than the external silicone. Not sure what its made of.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I have one of the eBay silicone hose kits.

3 layers, just like the silicone couplers that I have for my IC piping, and the upper radiator hardpipe. Inner layer of silicone, middle layer of braided nylon fibers, and an outer layer of silicone. Specific density of the silicone matches that of Vibrant branded parts, making me think that it's a very similar compound. Should be proof against casual oil contact oil or coolant. The only line that I know of in that kit which is in contact with oil is the breather line between the head and block, which shouldn't be flowing oil, but may come in contact with it. I don't think that the stock line would survive flowing oil for long either given how brittle it has become over time. I believe that I can expect reasonable service life for the coolant lines included in the kits.

I'd be fine with stock, but stock is more expensive. I believe that expense is the reason why the stock lines aren't silicone. It is more expensive to produce, therefore is a poorer choice for OEM.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
I'd agree with Dan, more expensive to go with silicone hoses for OEM applications.

As far as the OPs question: http://www.verociousmotorsports.com...e-Bends/Venair-90-Degree-Silicone-Bend-4-Arms
That hose should be used in three places: the 90 degree hose that always fails behind the water pump, the 90 degree on the back of the head, and the 90 degree on the exhaust side that has a plug in it.

You can use generic single ply silicone for the throttle body/ISCV coolant lines. The remaining coolant lines (both the radiator pipes as well as the three long heater hoses near the firewall) you can buy in kits from mishimoto or whomever, and are molded correctly as far as turns and length goes.

super51fan;1974149 said:
I bet the JJ fellow is talking about real world results. On most MKIII's and really most old toyota vechicles have alot of hoses that are 25 30 years old. They fit properly and if you make sure the metal fittings are clean and use new Toyota spring clamps they are good for another 20 plus years. Oem Toyota only for me.

But you can do what ever you want. Some of the "smartest people in world" say this or that. I'll stick with the "dumb" Toyota engineers. Just saw a thread about a engine that was destoyed by a "upgraded" oil line failure. Because the supposed crappy OEM part sucks. Yea.

Have a nice day

Oh sorry, I forgot science doesn't apply in the real world.

OEM hoses are great and I'm not bashing them, +1 for the stock spring type clamps as well. But if I want something that I can take off and reuse five years from now? Silicone no doubt. What will withstand engine operating temperatures with ease, because it is rated for 150 degrees over what the engine runs at? Silicone. Higher pressure rating? Silicone. Doesn't age, crack or become brittle? Silicone. You can't really go wrong with the stuff.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
I have four years and about 50k miles on the hose behind the water pump, and despite numerous overheats (as well as a leaking exhaust manifold gasket) it looks and feels brand new. I've taken it off more than once and just had it off when I took it off my old engine and put it on the one I just put in the car.

Once again, I'm not blowing smoke just for giggles...silicone doesn't age. It's just as pliant as it was when I bought it. Unless I stab it, it's not going anywhere.