7mgte head vs 7mge head?

suprakid93

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Sterling IL
Ok so i picked up a 89 7mge complete motor with 80,000 miles and i was wondering if there is a difference between the gte head and the ge head. I couldnt find much on it so i decided to post up on it. I just wanna keep the head if i can if not i guess ill try to get rid of that too. Thanks
AJ

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
If you're going turbo, use the GTE intake cam. If you're going N/A use the GE cam. Unless you're going for big power, in which case upgrade cams may be worth your while.

VanSupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Van,B.C.
Built bottom end, stock ge head and cams, T-70 Q trim Turbonetics + 30psi boost = 673 rwhp. Piece of cake, and had excellent low end off boost driveability.

suprakid93

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Sterling IL
So use the regular cams in the GE head except use GTE intake cam and will be good? are they both same size cam? and damn im looking into a built bottom end and doing a little head work (BC spring retainers port and polish) and maybe 272 cams later. But 673 thats amazing.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
suprakid93;1819512 said:
So use the regular cams in the GE head except use GTE intake cam and will be good? are they both same size cam? and damn im looking into a built bottom end and doing a little head work (BC spring retainers port and polish) and maybe 272 cams later. But 673 thats amazing.

There are two cams in the head, one is the exhaust (the only of the two to have a mesh gear on it) and is the same between both engines, and the other is the intake came, so...:
toyotanos;1818819 said:
If you're going turbo, use the GTE intake cam. If you're going N/A use the GE cam. Unless you're going for big power, in which case upgrade cams may be worth your while.

VanSupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Van,B.C.
I just bolted on the stock head, the amount of difference between cams is marginal. Build a head on the side if you're going for big power with the high lift cams, dual springs, retainers and such. Mixing cams up is not needed for what you're trying to do, imo it's waste of time.