7mgte CAMS can someone do a group buy

toyman1987

Apr 2, 2005
Omaha
BrianCrower.com Has 7m cams that are supposed to be available in September.
Stage 2 & 3 prices are 543.00
spring & retainer kit 342.35 (only needed with stg 3)

http://www.briancrower.com/makes/toyota/7mgte.shtml

Let's get something going on this guys, HP Freaks has been working on cams forever and I don't see it happening, they have had enough time to get it done.
Zazzn, in another thread said he could do a group buy with a 3-4 month wait time (prepaid) I don't know if I want to shell out 500 bucks for something that's not even produced yet, maybe a deposit to show we are serious about buying them.

I would think if we have 10-15-20 people to buy them we could get a price below 500.00

Someone help us please!!!!!!

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
$543 would be an excellent price as is, if they were available.

Would you wait 2 months to get the price down by $40?

In the meantime, regrinds are readily available.

toyman1987

Apr 2, 2005
Omaha
Maybe I don't want regrinds, maybe I would wait,
If you don't like group buys, then don't post. it is really none of your business how or what I spend my money on. what if we can save more than 40.00, maybe save more on the springs/retainers also.
There have been a couple different posts on interest for cams, and seems to be plenty of people interested.

I just thought I would throw this out there, I did not know if anyone was aware of this company, and that they have some mk3 stuff in the works.

If you don't have anything to contribute, and just want to criticize, please don't whore up the post.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i have bena eye balling these cam's for some time i can't weigh tell they come out and there priced great too

once i get new spring i gonna rev my car to 7500 rpm yae.......:D

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Interesting. They show nothing about using shimless buckets, or shim under buckets.

With the 272's and the extra duration and lift, do you need the shim under buckets? (I would hate to have the cam spit a shim out at high rpm...)

The stage 2 cams are interesting too.

I already have Comp Cams BBC valve springs, and 1mm OS stainless valves, so I belive these cams should be in my future... :)

Yeahdoug

Jun 3, 2005
Rochester Hills, MI
I want the stage 3s but I don't want that much lift. Since I'm using the stock buckets and shims it would be ideal to stay under 9mm of lift. Well that's what I've read.

mmarkk

ShoarmaTeam Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Netherlands
i asked Brian Crower about the shim issue some time ago, this was his responce:
Brian Crower said:
The whole shim under bucket deal is based on rpm and grinding a proper profile that does not hook the shim or bucket. If you have a profile that is ground to the appropriate foot or wear pattern of the bucket/shim diameter then it really doesn’t become an issue. The 7MGTE only has a .980” bucket diameter, so you have to use special, small foot profiles so you don’t hook the bucket or fling the shim off of the bucket. Don’t get me wrong, you can do everything right in terms of foot, but high rpm will also cause the shim to get away from the bucket, that’s why race applications/high rpm applications go shim under bucket. But it is not necessary on the street or street/strip.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
toyman1987 said:
Maybe I don't want regrinds, maybe I would wait,
If you don't like group buys, then don't post. it is really none of your business how or what I spend my money on. what if we can save more than 40.00, maybe save more on the springs/retainers also.
There have been a couple different posts on interest for cams, and seems to be plenty of people interested.

I just thought I would throw this out there, I did not know if anyone was aware of this company, and that they have some mk3 stuff in the works.

If you don't have anything to contribute, and just want to criticize, please don't whore up the post.

ok I hate asshole so I am posting on this.

as Mike (supracentral) stated. If you want to do the leg work by all means, Briancrower has a phone number. Start dialing and start talking. Otherwise this is a worthless post to begin with.

As for thinking. Don't!You either take the time to do it or you don't. thinking means IF and IF's around here are empty promises and nothing else.

you don't like regrinds??

congrats. Go to Toda and spend $1500 for blank billets then you whiner. Otherwise BEGGERS can't be choosers.

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
toyman1987 said:
Let's get something going on this guys, EVERYBODY AND THEIR MOTHER has been working on A WHOLE BUNCH OF STUFF forever and I don't see it happening.

Sigh... This isn't happening, sorry. IIRC a wholeeeeeee bunch of us are still waiting on oil pans and weezl wings. How do you expct to get another 10-20 people on board for a $500 buy?

I'm about ready to head over to the suggestion area and make a thread about not starting ANY new group buys untill the one before it finishes. Also, I think a 2-3 month time frame to get the gb started and finished would be key. If you can't meet the time frame then good luck to ya next time. We need to control group buys around here. This is getting ridiculous. A few group buys a year would suffice and keep everybody happy.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Well, since I'm running a stroker, and will likely not ever rev past the stock rpm limit, or at the most, I'll have it re-clocked one of these years and go for 7500rpm max, then the bucket shims we have now should be OK for the higher lift/duration stage 3 cams.....

IIRC, the 2JZ crowd says the higher duration/lift cams actually hurt some low end spool and performance right? I wonder if the #2's would be better over all anyway...

We need some cams, and some guinea pigs.. (I volunteer for #2 testing duty....) Or if he wants, I'll test both sets of cams, and even post dyno sheets, same setup, only difference is the cams etc. (I'd even pay for the dyno tests, for a set of the cams that perform the best on my car... LOL.)

Likelyhood of this happening... Zero percent. :)

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i just want the stage 2 not 3 that is why over my head

the stage 2 if you spec it all out is great cam this is why i want it ps i have trubo that will support this cam as well

toyman1987

Apr 2, 2005
Omaha
figgie said:
ok I hate asshole so I am posting on this.

as Mike (supracentral) stated. If you want to do the leg work by all means, Briancrower has a phone number. Start dialing and start talking. Otherwise this is a worthless post to begin with.

As for thinking. Don't!You either take the time to do it or you don't. thinking means IF and IF's around here are empty promises and nothing else.

you don't like regrinds??

congrats. Go to Toda and spend $1500 for blank billets then you whiner. Otherwise BEGGERS can't be choosers.

The quote you linked was directed toward another post which had since been deleted, we PMd each other and all is cool.

and calling me "asshole" You don't know me,

I have never done a GB and thought it would be best if someone with more experience handled it. I don't see whats wrong with that.

There is a 17 page thread that HP freaks started on a Cams GB that they still haven't got a supplier for, 65 people voted that they would get them now or would be ready by spring which has come and gone.

No, I don't like regrinds, Don't see what's wrong with that either.

And why would I buy Toda cams for 1500.00 I can wait till Sept. and buy these for 543.00

I really don't know why your panties are in a bunch, I thought that this might help the Supra community as a whole, it had seemed to me that there were many people looking for a better choice than toda's or webcams, I saw this and thought I would try to bring it to someones attention that could help all of us looking for Cams. I didn't think I was Begging or Whining.

There was a successful GB completed on SM for 1JZ cams, why can't it happen here?

I have 30+ posts on this forum, and I don't Know anyone here personally, and no one knows me, Wouldn't it be better for someone Who is "known" here or one of the vendors to handle this?

From all the negativity I see here, looks like I will just buy a set myself when they are available.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
toyman1987 said:
From all the negativity I see here, looks like I will just buy a set myself when they are available.

that is probably your best bet. you (or anyone else) are gonna be hard pressed to get much going on something that is $500. even more so if its a prepay and wait. i understand youd like to save some money, but his price for new billet cams are a steal as they are. ive been in the game long enough to know about 25% of the people that say they want them will actually follow thru on the deal. and to me thats not worth all the hassle for $40.

im not trying to rain on your parade, and in no way think negative of your efforts. i just dont think it would be worthwhile for something so expensive.

H

HPF Kyle

maybe you should take a look at the HPF section...I'm working with brian to get the 7m cams made before '07. In fact we're setting up the GB with low low prices. This is getting done. We're test fitting on a 7m today/tomorrow and then sending it back to brian so we can release these and get them out.