7MGTE Build

peytoncoyote

Aug 5, 2012
Lemoore, CA
I currently own a 87 Supra with just a GE, but I have a GTE motor sitting the garage and I am wanting to do a swap. I have rebuilt I good number of American Motors, but never a Dual Over head cam before let alone mess with a turbo. I was wondering where I could find books or anything to help me along with this process. I have been paying attention along the website and have been doing modifications with the interoir but the motor is about beat. I am open to any advice or help because I want to do this right and don't want to back track. I've been looking at most of my parts to come from Driftmotion.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Some topics to look into:
  • Have the timing case bolted to the block so they are decked together.
  • Have the timing belt tensioner torqued down to specs when the cylinders are bored. Not doing may cause low compression on cylinder 1.
  • Upgraded bearings are good insurance.
  • Shim the oil pump, ideally a new one.
  • Replace the water pump.
  • Have the head checked for hardness.
  • Have the head and block machined for a metal head gasket.
  • Use a metal head gasket.
  • Use OEM gaskets, especially on the EGR cooler for all other gaskets.
  • If you can afford it, replace all hoses. If not, inspect and replace the ones that need it. Replace the small 90 degree bend on the back of the head, regardless of condition.
  • Use ARP head studs torqued according to the specs provided by ARP.
  • If you are looking to make anything over 350-400HP, forged internals are recommended, and they are good insurance.

That should be a good start of things for you to look into, hope it helps.
-AM3

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Also, google "cygnus tsrm", and you will find the supra turbo service manual.
This is your bible for rebuild. It has all torque specs, illustrations and procedural descriptions for every service item on your car.
Bookmark that link, because you will be referring to it alot.