7mgte & 7mge

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
I have set the timing on a GE but never on a GTE.now pertaining to the GTE do I unscrew the cam sensor cap? I have turned the crank shaft by hand with the battery disconected of corse.I matched up cam gears with the notches and crank shaft with the zero but when I unscrew the oil cap and look down the cam nose isn't looking straight up which I think it is suppose to,its been awhile.

supersupramk3

average joe
Mar 29, 2009
sacramento, CA
supraman508;1703506 said:
I have set the timing on a GE but never on a GTE.now pertaining to the GTE do I unscrew the cam sensor cap? I have turned the crank shaft by hand with the battery disconected of corse.I matched up cam gears with the notches and crank shaft with the zero but when I unscrew the oil cap and look down the cam nose isn't looking straight up which I think it is suppose to,its been awhile.

Follow the procedures according to the TSRM...its not too bad, and that is the Supra Bible.

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
One thing I didn't see in the T.S.R.M in the ignition section was it didn't explain what to do with the cam sensor after the CRANKSHAFT & CAM GEARS Are aligned and the cam nose is pointing up when u look through the oil filler hole.do I just slowly move the cam sensor back and forth while theirs a paper clip in the diag plug and using the timing light at the same time while trying to adjust timing?????

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its the same exact thing as the ge. Instead of turning the dist you turn the cps. Same bolt in the same spot and turning it does the same thing.

Dont need to take off the cover just loosen the 12mm and turn in the right direction with te1 and e1 jumped in the diag box.

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
Kool beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnns.thanks hvyman.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

Hopefully this will be my last Q.I have Everything lined up but the cam nose isn't looking straight up when I took the oil cap off.can I just jump the diag plug with a paperclip and use the timing light while slowly turning the cam sensor.oram I missing something?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Cam and crank timing and ignition timing are 2 different things.

With the cam marks matching there marks on the backing plate and the crank at zero(with the piston at tdc) this is where you insert the cps to right way. Then you start the engine and set the timing with the 2 jumped.

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
Sun of a &$%@! After seeing that the timing was at 10 degrees T.D.C with the timing light I took the jumper diag cable out and drove it up and down my parkinglot to see how she handled.still knocking only when driving but when it is in neutral or park the knocking stops.the front of the car was on stands and at a 42 degree angle for 3 yrs ..Anyway I park the car and jump the diag plug and aimed the timing light and the timing is way past the 15 mark.Is their a picture of the inside of a cam sensor when everything is aligned?