7mgte 1977 celica

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
I am Chris and I live in Brighton, Michigan

I have a 1977 toyota celica liftback and I recently purchased a 7mgte and r154 to put into the celica in place of the stock 20r motor.

I am going to have to do decent amount of modification to get it to fit right but I am just starting the project.

I know that the 7m will bolt up to my crossmember using the 5m supra mounts on the more forward holes on the 7m block. My first hurdle is that I have the gte which means that I have the provisions for the oil cooler lines on the oil filter adaptor. the oil filter is directly in the way of where I need to bolt my 5m mounts, I have read that the oil filter adaptor has a valve in it to let the oil go to the cooler when over 40psi or so, andthat you cant just bypass the adaptor... I am sure I will have a lot of questions for al of you guys when installing this motor in my car..... it sure will be fast when I am done though 2500lbs :)

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.... I might have to start a build thread for this info though :/

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Welcome!! BTW you cant say you have a 77 Celica without posting pictures. We love that old school stuff here!!!

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
da89soup;977334 said:
Welcome!! BTW you cant say you have a 77 Celica without posting pictures. We love that old school stuff here!!!

+1. This better be good.:icon_bigg

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Here is the start of my project... it is definently in the beginning stages.

p977433_1.jpg

This is over last summer sitting in a field

p977433_2.jpg

thats me putting something in the hatch, sorry its a little fuzzy

p977433_3.jpg

this has put the car on hold for the last few months.

p977433_4.jpg

my attempt at making my own CF gauges... didnt turn out too bad

p977433_5.jpg

p977433_6.jpg

my Blah interior

V=
p977433_7.jpg

snow finally melting away as of last week.
p977433_8.jpg

Sorry for so many pics... but you said you wanted pics so there ya go....
Engine and mount pics coming up in a few more minutes!

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
Here are some pics of the engine and transmission that I purchased, it arrived at my house last week.

p977439_1.jpg

still sitting on the ground

p977439_2.jpg

got it up on the stand

p977439_3.jpg

r154.... for some reason it had a BRAND NEW clutch disk and pressure plate in it, it kind of worrys me that someone would put it in and then never drive it again, I hope nothing is wrong!

p977439_4.jpg

thedrivers side mount was easy, just took off the ac pump and factory mount and the 5m mount went on without a problem

p977439_5.jpg

Now this is where I ran into my first problem..... Those 3 holes around the filter are where the 5m mount needs to go for the pass. side, I need some suggestions on what to do about this!!

p977439_6.jpg

this is the mount that needs to go there the oil filter is

p977439_7.jpg

engine from japan.... no egr

:love::love::love:

This is going to be great! I've always wanted one of those Celica liftbacks. There was a pristine one in the yard of the guy I bought my Supra from, he said he drove all the way to California and towed it back to North Carolina because he had never found one in such good condition. If he were willing to sell it, I might have one instead of a Supra right now =)

Your JDM 7M looks nicer than mine did... I had a hacked up harness in addition to the hacked up cables/hoses you have. =[

You could use an oil filter relocation kit, most of them look thin enough that they will fit above the engine mount, and oil changes will be a breeze once you get it running.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Yes, the transdapt oil filter relocation kit will take care of the clearence issue on that side most likely. May have to use 90 degree fittings to direct your hoses out and away the direction you need.

The 7M into the RA29 chassis has been done enough times that there should be ample information on what all is required to accomplish it. I was going to suggest you check out classic-celica.com but when I went to retrieve a link to it for you I see it has gone bye bye. Well, there are lots of good fabricators here so if you are good about explaining and documenting you should be able get good help here.

Im a huge 1st gen Celica fan and plan to have another again when money permits and plan to do a 1JZ swap into it. There are several other fans here Im sure they will show their heads in here soon enough. Definately get a build thread going when you get started, I'll keep my eye out for it. Good luck!

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
yeah classic-celica.com shut down a few months ago for unknown reasons, but now everyone from that site has moved on to 1stgencelica.com including myself

Thanks for the info on the oil filter relocation, would anyone happen to have a part number?

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
speedfreak426;977578 said:
yeah classic-celica.com shut down a few months ago for unknown reasons, but now everyone from that site has moved on to 1stgencelica.com including myself

Thanks for the info on the oil filter relocation, would anyone happen to have a part number?

Yeah I saw that site but knew nothing about it so decided not to give my endorsement. CC.com will be a missed resourse, hopefully that new one does as good a job.

The transdapt kit you want is the 1113, I also put a cooler inline with mine and longer hoses to reach up under the headlight, but your application will be completely different. Not sure where you are gonna be shoehorning everything in at.

speedfreak426

Mar 31, 2008
Brighton, MI
I got the oil adaptor thing all figured out on my engine last night, i took the cheap way out, it was really simple and I am almost positive that I wont have a problem with it. All I did is unbolted the 90deg. part, then put my enging mount on and simply bolted the adaptor back on at an angle off of its locating pin, it isnt going to budge and now the oil filter is just pointing slightly down and to the front of the engine. and comments or warnings on this??

On a different note.... I started my celica for the first time this year and the first time in about 4-5 months, the weather was nice so I took the opportunity to fix a few things.... It still has the stock 20r right now and this is going to be the start of my project. I took a video of my first start up, its nothing impressive at all and it has a pretty major exhaust leak so it sounds like crap, but it does run great in its stock form.
The battery was dead so I hooked up the jumpers from another car and just gave the key a small tap to see if it would even crank over, to my amazement it fired right up after 4 months of not running!!! Carburators arent all that bad after all! I still cant wait to get started on my 7M swap though :)

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
get rid of that oil folter adaptor and get a relocation kit. look at the pics of my 84 supra. i did a 7mgte swap on it like 7 years ago. i got lots of other pics that arnt on the cardomain if there is anything specific you need to see. just ask by pm in case i dont check the thread that often. looks liek its gonna be hella fun.