7mge-t questions

aznboik1mva

Aug 20, 2009
Manchester,Ct
well jus picked up a 90 ma71 for my bro. But the guy must of blew the motor and got cheap and droped in a na motor. all the 7mgte electronic are still there. so i decided i should jus buy my old 7mgte motor(Blown) back from a buddie and swap manifold, turbo, ect. i would lik to jus get the car running so do you think if i get a oem head gasket and arps studs then the car should be fine. this is jus gunna be DD for my brother so its not like hes gunna boost over 12 pounds or so. i jus wanna know if this will be alright until next winter when we can do a rebuild

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
n/a high compression pistions with a stock hg at 12 psi. have fun for a couple weeks, if that.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
aznboik1mva(edit) said:
I just picked up a '90 MA71 for my brother.
The previous owner replaced the 7MGTE with a GE block.
All the 7mgte electronics are still there, so I decided I should just buy my old 7MGTE that needs a rebuild back from a buddy and swap manifold, turbo, ect.
I would like to just get the car running so do you think if I get an OEM head gasket and ARP studs the engine would be fine? this is just gonna be a DD for my brother so its not like hes gonna boost over 12 pounds. I just want to know if this will be alright until next winter when we can do a rebuild.

Now I can answer.
You can run the car NA-t no problem. The internals are IDENTICAL save for the GE block not having oil squirters, and the pistons are 9.2:1 cr where the GTE pistons are 8.5:1

People have made big power on NA blocks, I plan to swap a spare into my car should anything go wrong with the GTE that's in it.

THAT SAID, a stock headgasket on a PROPERLY PREPPED head and block will hold up just fine if you use ARP studs and don't shoot for astronomical HP. The higher compression and, say, 10psi on a stock CT would make a great daily driver. Again, my plan.

Run whichever block you want to, they will both do the job.

A metal headgasket is ideal, of course, but the stock headgasket will be fine as long as you use a genuine Toyota gasket.

Last edited:

aznboik1mva

Aug 20, 2009
Manchester,Ct
well i know that the thicker the gasket the lower the compression, but dont know what head gasket to get for it which u forgot to also put in my first post. i was thinkin bout goin metal but dont really have the money to get the block prepped. i have a head that has been done .

aznboik1mva

Aug 20, 2009
Manchester,Ct
hvyman;1494527 said:
n/a high compression pistions with a stock hg at 12 psi. have fun for a couple weeks, if that.

well i kno that. im jus puttin 12 out there as a estimated number. and i plan on keeping his car stock for now until next winter when he saves up enough money to do a full rebuild

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
These cars don't respond well to cheap owners. Do it right or don't do it.
There WILL be issues if you just throw it together "for now".

aznboik1mva

Aug 20, 2009
Manchester,Ct
supra90turbo;1494565 said:
These cars don't respond well to cheap owners. Do it right or don't do it.
There WILL be issues if you just throw it together "for now".

yea. i mean as long as we dont turn up the boost and beat on it do you think a oem headgasket and arps will be fine?

aznboik1mva

Aug 20, 2009
Manchester,Ct
well cuz the motor is missing some compenents like a ignitor and distributor. and for the money i can jus grab my old motor back from a friend and steal parts off of that. i mean how hard would it be to run a turbo into a non turbo?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
its not hard but the higher comp plays a big part as it can detonate easy. i would just leave it at stock boost if your going to go that way.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
12 pounds is raising the boost.

If you got a engine that was prepped for a MHG and ARP's you should be fine.

That is of course you have a good tune all the time...One detonation and the high compression fun is over. I loved my NA-T, partially the reason I went with Wiseco pistons as there still 9:1:)