7mge rebuild... rod ticked for a few seconds after first start. worry?!

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
That motor needs a new bottom end.. At least get the crank ground, resize the rods, and put undersized bearings in.. Otherwise get a new set of rods, crank and STD size bearings.. That bearing is going to spin, I don't care what motor it is, if its done right it will never knock on the first start up....

Something is WRONG!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^you buy bearing sized to match the crank after the machinist has looked at it and polished it.

What weight oil are you using and why is there no coolant in the motor?

dragondriver5

Mar 5, 2011
North Idaho
bottom end was oiled yea. I had two people on another site tell me it was a valve that hadn't gotten oil to it yet, so I'm pretty sure that's what it was. I've started it and driven it a few times since then and hasn't made the noise since, so I think I'm ok

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Priming the system means you crank the system but dont let it start. Pull the efi fuse is the popular way to do it. That way oil gets to the HEAD so your valves dont do that when you first start it. You mat have been lucky this time, but since you said you did the to your 4runner as well, make sure if you build another engine, that you prime it correctly. Because the next one may not be so forgiving.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
It took me a nearly 2 min of cranking till I saw oil pressure. Revving the thing was DUMB! Did you even look at oil pressure?

Last edited:

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
dragondriver5;1694351 said:
bottom end was oiled yea. I had two people on another site tell me it was a valve that hadn't gotten oil to it yet, so I'm pretty sure that's what it was. I've started it and driven it a few times since then and hasn't made the noise since, so I think I'm ok

THose 2 people from another site were ON some serious shit bro. THat knock wasnt the valves, it was the rods were you failed to prime the system. I hope that there wasn't too much damage and it lasts. Next time PULL the EFi fuse and crank it till you see oil pressure guage move some. Then put the EFI fuse back in and crank it right up. GOOD LUCK

enslaved87

Apr 1, 2005
piss off
I don't think priming the system would have helped anything assuming the engine was assembled correctly with the right lubricant(s) from the get-go. You have at least one rod bearing that is going to find its way outside of the crank case in short order. Before it gets worse, pull the oil pan, plastigauge each bearing and replace the ones that need replacing. That will likely get you by assuming your core components weren't screwed initially. If you have bearing material left on the crank...well...get your cherry picker ready to pull that engine again.

enslaved87

Apr 1, 2005
piss off
D.J.T.;1697657 said:
We use Engine lube, let the engine crank but never let it start & then drop the oil put in new oil & crank & start.

Well, if I was a betting man I'd say the rod bearings weren't checked properly for clearance during the build.