7mge on Megasquirt

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
So I'm going to be running my stock 7mge on MS2. Why? Because I already assembled an MS2 board for a previous car that I no longer own, so why not? Plus I can't stand knowing that stupid AFM is on there...lol. With MS, it will be MAP, so no more pre-throttle sensors. :naughty:

I hope to post up when I am done, all the steps and issues I run into so that others can know and learn how to setup MS on an NA 7mge as well. :icon_bigg

First issue is the ignition system. I have done a lot of searching and everything I find is to do with the gte not the ge. I understand the gte has a cps (cam position sensor) with coil packs and the ge does not have a cps and uses a dizzy. Can somebody please confirm this the ge does not have a cps?

If the ge does not have a cam or crank position sensor I will need to figure out how to get the MS to read the cam or crank position. Is it possible to install a gte cps on a ge? Any info on this would be great. :)

Thanks,

Mike.

MPR

Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I've just been looking in the TSSM for the 7mge and it looks like there is a signal rotor and 3 pickup coils in the ge dizzy. Might be able to work with this.

Will post up when I have more info...

I would rather not swap out the ignition system if I don't have to. But thanks for the info anyways Greatdestroyer187. :)

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
7MGE has a cam position sensor, it's called the distributor. The Hall sensor inside does the exact same thing as the CPS on the GTE. It will work just fine. Will be way easier running one coil off MS than three.

MPR

Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Alright, so last night a couple friends of mine who have significant experience with MS and myself all put our heads together a figured out everything needed to run MSII V3.0PCB on a 7mge (NA).

It’s actually quite easy and does not require any re-wiring of the stock harness at all. The idea is to keep the stock wiring harness untouched so that everything can be put back to stock if need be. So without further delay, here it is…

The harness:
-Use the Noppondenso 52 pin BOB from diyautotune which connects the DB37 MS cable to the stock harness with plug and play ease. Can be found here:http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/diybob-breakout-adapter-nippondenso-52-pin-p-413.html

Fuel Injection:
-Stock harness/ecu runs 3 batches of 2 injectors at a time.
-MSII cannot do this without some complicated modifications to the MS (only has 2 injector outputs), so you can just run all 6 injectors at once on one batch. This should not cause any issues. Many manufacturers run their engines like this from factory. We ran our 4agte (4agze converted to turbo) like this for a long time with zero issues and zero fuel economy issues.
-MS3x will allow you to run 3 batches of 2 injectors just like the stock ecu. however, I have MSII so this is the way it must be done.

Ignition, Crank/Cam Position:
-In the dizzy there is a sensor wheel array with 3 VR sensors.
-The MSII only has one VR input. To achieve proper resolution, we need two of the VR sensor inputs. The “NE” and “G2” or “G1”. I’m going to use NE and G2. You can see these here on page 9: http://www.turboninjas.com/mk3supra/1990/indiv/10_IG.pdf
-This requires building a 2nd VR input circuit on the proto area of the MS PCB. It’s only about $10 worth of components and is fairly simple to construct. The schematics and list of necessary components for this can be found here:http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Ignition.htm#2vr

IAT and Fuel Pump Signal:
-These are in the stock AFM and need to be addressed since the MS has on board MAP and the AFM is no longer required (One of the main reasons for going MS).
-The fuel pump switch can be easily fixed by a simple jumper on the correct pins of the AFM connector.
-The IAT sensor can be replaced with a GM CLT/IAT sensor which can be found here: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/gm-closed-element-clt-iat-sensor-with-pigtail-p-58.html or in a junk yard. Just mount this IAT sensor somewhere close to the TB on the intake piping or thread it directly into the manifold after the TB (remove the IM before you drill and tap to prevent metal shavings going in your engine).
-A dedicated vacuum line for the on board MAP sensor on the MS can be run from the IM or you can T-in to one of the existing vacuum lines. Just make sure it’s a clean vacuum line that reads pressure from the IM after the TB.
-Hang on to the AFM just in case you need it again someday.

Wideband O2:
-There are several options here. I have not yet figured out which route I will be taking but here are the options I have at the moment:
-Use an Innovate MTX-L and wire it in manually to the MS.
-Use an Innovate LC1 which will plug into the stock harness O2 wiring and thus to the MS via stock O2 input.
-The other option is to leave the stock narrowband in place and run a 2nd wideband O2 for tuning purposes.
-The only extra wiring will be if I want to run an A/F gauge, which I will be running for sure.

That is pretty much all you need to do to run an MSII/3x on a stock 7mge (NA). This will allow the stock harness to remain untouched and thus, the ability to reinstall the stock ecu and AFM at any time and run the car as usual. For those who want to get rid of the barn-door AFM, this IMO is a better option than a MAFT Pro translator and MAF as the MS setup will give you full tune-ability and data-logging for not a whole lot more money.

All that is left to do is execute this setup. I will post up the results and any other issues I run into.

If there is anything I have left out, or if you have any questions, please post up and let me know.

Cheers. :)

Last edited:

MPR

Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Update:

Factory O2 sensor is a one wire unit, therefore the LC1 wide band I have available to me (4-wire, heated) will not plug into the stock harness.

So, I will be using the MTX-L wide band manually wired in with gauge for tuning and monitoring.

MPR

Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Just a heads up for those who were curious. I haven't had much time to work on this over the past several months, but stay tuned... I am still planning to execute this setup.