7MGE ITBs

MrWOT

NERD
May 9, 2007
Grass Valley, CA
cuel said:
As far as the bmep, that motor would need to run a lower rpm shift point? Would a higher compression ratio help with that? Would it be possible to tune the motor in such a fashion as to bring the peak torque point into a safer rpm range?

Shift point is determined by gearing, but it would need to run a lower redline than a larger r/s motor could run before the pistons would effectively outrun the flame, though port design, piston design, manifold design etc all play heavily into the burn characteristics, too much to explain here.

Higher compression, no, actually an engine tolerates compression more at higher rpm because there isn't as much time per revolution for the rapidly rising pressure to affect the rest of the intake charge. (also why short rods are a mixed blessing)

As for bringing peak torque down in the rpm range, yes it is doable, it would involve reshaping and shrinking the ports (optimal), long runner intake manifold and custom stepped header. Retiming the cams as well (advancing). Anything you can do to increase velocity in the intake manifold is good so long as you remain under mach 1 at your chosen redline. Anything you can do to increase the pressure differential across the valve is beneficial so long as you can burn it.

edit: Almost forgot, ITBs are made for throttle response, that is their purpose, they are more for handling purposes then power output, though they do certainly increase output if made properly.

7M-fanatic

Banned
Apr 21, 2006
San Antonio, TX
sarinas_dragons said:
The 7Ms based on their geometries experience this limit around 8400.
Do not exceed this, no matter what your upgrades.

Yup, sure enough....
8500 rpm put me over the magic 140,000ft/sec/sec piston acceleration point,
when bad things are guaranteed to happen !

8300 would have kept it down under 135,000 ft/sec/sec.

Thanks sarinas_dragons !

Last edited:

sarinas_dragons

application developer
Oct 5, 2007
Parkland, WA
hp=tq x rpm / 5252

tq =hp x 5252 / rpm

Then, if you tell what torque you want in what range I'll tell you how to get it.

BMEP is a mean. Meaning the pressure is always changing but the average is this. It is not for individual moments.

p833818_1.jpg

p833818_2.jpg

Last edited:

sarinas_dragons

application developer
Oct 5, 2007
Parkland, WA
The above post shows the way Toyota engineers would design the characteristics of our engines. When we change parts, we change these characteristics, sometimes without regard to the elegance of the original design.

sarinas_dragons

application developer
Oct 5, 2007
Parkland, WA
old guys...sheesh your micrometer eyes should still work

Besides, when I'm crying for joy I can't see well, either

On-car test fits and pictures are coming soon.

I'd really like to see how a 3VZ ECU would control a stock set-up.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
sarinas_dragons said:
old guys...sheesh your micrometer eyes should still work

Besides, when I'm crying for joy I can't see well, either

On-car test fits and pictures are coming soon.

I'd really like to see how a 3VZ ECU would control a stock set-up.
Hey, hey!! Don't be ragging on these old eyes. You're probably close to me.:biglaugh: I'll bet it's at least 2mm thicker.

Looking forward to more pics.

sarinas_dragons

application developer
Oct 5, 2007
Parkland, WA
It looks like I got my 5 manifolds sold on cs.com. I took full payments from three members there, one paid half and the last is still up in the air but I can cover on spec, theoretically.. I am hoping to get a reply from INTEK, where the first test mule dyno was done, for a before Christmas back-up dyno.

Along with the manifold I've got new COLT CAMS to test. They are 264/.413" and should make close to 230 (280 crank) to the wheels tuned properly.

Shawn and I have for long time been trying to show a couple of solid build paths for the 5MGE that allowed adding one or two upgrades at a time to finally get to a desired result.

Something that kept the 5MGE and didn't go turbo.

I have a new ecu in development, too.

HatchSex

Ma70
May 5, 2007
Jacksonville, NC
HOLY SH&^%$#T!!!!! :aigo: I don't have to jack a hayabusa to make ITBs! thank you god. HOW much and where do i sign, shipping to 28546? Im going to need tech assistance and lots of instructions. But im willing to pay for the struggle! :love:

sarinas_dragons

application developer
Oct 5, 2007
Parkland, WA
I've posted the links to the information in the beginning of this thread.

For the 7M I have the N/A manifold pictured. For turbos my plan was to design per build. The intake volumes should be matched to turbos and cams and exhaust manifolds and other mods.

If there are questions you have the threads don't answer I will answer any questions.

The ITBs were offered at $800 for the kit. The manifold is $888 retail. I'm going to be trying my set out on several different ecus and nitrous.