7mge idle surging badly

7mge:(

Sep 2, 2013
Saskatoon
Hey guys and gals
I have a 91 Cressida with the 7mge. I brought it with the typical BHG. Well I just finished putting the engine all back together and it fires yup after a couple cranks.
The issue I'm having now is that right from start up the rpms jump from about 1000 up to about 4000 rpms. When I get home I'm going to look at all my vacuum lines and see if everything is right. I'll also be checking the tps to see if that's working right.
If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful to hear them.

Cheers

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
7mge:(;1962511 said:
Hey guys and gals
I have a 91 Cressida with the 7mge. I brought it with the typical BHG. Well I just finished putting the engine all back together and it fires yup after a couple cranks.
The issue I'm having now is that right from start up the rpms jump from about 1000 up to about 4000 rpms. When I get home I'm going to look at all my vacuum lines and see if everything is right. I'll also be checking the tps to see if that's working right.
If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful to hear them.

Cheers
Does is jump to 4k rpms and stay there or does it go up and down.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Disconnect the throttle cable and see if the RPM's come down. Vacuum leaks won't cause an idle increase. Make sure no one has messed with the idle screw or the throttle bump stop.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
^ This. The air bypass screw is accessible only on pre-89 throttle bodies and should be fully seated (closed). The throttle stop screw should be set so the plate is fully closed, the TPS IDL contact set, and the dashpot set...in that order.