7M4EVR's "mild" street 7M build

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Hello,

I have never formally introduced myself here on this forum, but i have been lurking around for a little while. My name is John, I'm 24 and from Nebraska, and love my supra! I have made some good progress on my build and will continue to add updates. I believe this is a great way to recieve feedback from people who have been there, remember the work you put into something, and document what you have done to the car. All constructive criticism is welcome! Thanks for looking...

Background:
One day (this was in the summer of 2010) an mk3 with what i am fairly certain to be a BPU 7MGTE flys past my driver side window out of nowhere while my wife and kids are heading to get groceries. The blow off valve hissing as he shifted right by my window. Then he gets in front of me, slows down and before i know it a 90's ish vette comes flying up in front of me too and lines up with him. Of course being the nice guy I am, I slow way down ready to watch this...They take off from what had to be a 40 roll and immediately were gone...they went for a good quarter. I was immediately in love with the car....Just the way the MK3 looked and sounded (and kept up, couldnt tell who won) I was like what the **** kinda car was that!!?? I saw it said supra on the back, but i had no idea the year because at this point i only knew of the mk4 supras (yeah i was that guy).

Purchase:
So since i was about at the point in my life where i was finally ready to get a toy (had my family, bought a house, and had a great job) I decided what the hell...I'm getting one of those! Took me about a year to find one and I probably over-paid since i was entirely uninformed about cars and mechanically retarted. I paid $3000 for an 87 Targa, 7MGTE- R154/manual with 121XXX miles. Now, the body wasn't in "horrible" shape....it has a little rust around the wheel wells, and missing a passenger mirror and the front bumper is crap, but other than that not too bad. . The interior is mediocre at best, but that's all replaceable, and I'm not one for looks as much as how the car feels I'll be honest. The way I see it makes sense is upgrade in this order: Engine&Drivetrain/interior/exterior. So that's the order of my build..Of course like all hobbies this will be a never ending work in progress, but let's get to the build! Long story short... i turned up the boost and had fun trying to kill it to rebuild it, and it happened. BHG and coolant got into the cylinder spinning the rod bearing on the #3 cylinder causing the piston to slap against the cylinder head...

Starting Mods List:
Stock Internals- (Decked block, turned and balanced crank, honed cylinders, with new rings and bearings, and had to replace one rod, everything else mic'd great)
Cometic 2.0 MLS headgasket
New rebuild gasket set
New water pump, and taken apart and mic'd and cleaned oil pump
New, set to spec and ready to install cylinder head from CCH in Florida (came with NA cams)
re-surfaced flywheel/and kept what I believe to be the stage 2 ACT clutch, thanks PO)
Spearco replica intercooler
godspeed aluminum radiator
Upgraded turbo elbow to full 3" exhaust- for now, want to go DDP later
lexus AFM/550 Rc's
Apexi SAFC/Uego Wideband/DM AFPR/EGT, mech. boost gauge
60-1 trim CT26 -Albert rebuild-
manual boost controler for now/knock off HKS BOV from DM
blitz turbo timer
3" hard-pipes (still need to purchase these)
Not sure on suspension and tires yet
red MSD wires and Red vacuum hose kit
other things I'm probably missing

Progress:
Here is a pic of the car as she sat after pulling the motor:
View attachment 67621View attachment 67622

Here are some pics of what the machine work came back like:
IMG_20130529_191634.jpgIMG_20130523_182501.jpgIMG_20130504_150423.jpgIMG_20130504_145741.jpgIMG_20130504_150042.jpgIMG_20130504_150536.jpg

Here are a couple pics that i need confirmation on: One is the clutch (what brand is it) and one is the turbo elbow (what brand and how bad will this restrict flow vs an open downpipe?).
IMG_20130504_144822.jpgIMG_20130504_144920.jpgIMG_20130504_144927.jpg

A goodie table and misc.:
IMG_20121204_205613.jpg

The motor is currently on the stand and all assembled i will get some updated pics soon, and keep the thread going..thanks for looking.

Last edited:

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
ah i think i see whats going on here...maybe once I'm done being a noob at posting pics one of these handy mods will clean up the thread for me lol...Here are the pics of the car when i first started tearing into her:
IMG_20121107_201301.jpgIMG_20130303_172319.jpgIMG_20120616_113603.jpg

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Well...i didnt get as far as I wanted tonight...in a bad mood now. I really want this thing ready to be dropped in! I did get the rear timing cover (yep it was decked too) and new water pump on... will be heading back out to the shop Saturday to put the oil pan and bolt the head on.

I kept having to go through the process of elimination finding the right studs and bolts for the timing cover abd water pump since I was an idiot when I put all my bolts, studs, and nuts in plastic cups and labeled them with dry-erase marker (yeah it doesn't stay too well after 8 months of sitting). and the tsrm bolts and fastener page is missing lots...

Also ran into the dilemma with the ARP HEAD BOLTS. The kit number I have came used so did not have the directions, I have searched and searched and there has been some conflicting threads. I also tried the ARP website and they do not have any specs of my kit number? I have the moly lube and I'm leaning towards 75-80 ft/lbs. If someone has had success for awhile with ARP BOLTS, lemme know what specs you used!

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
well...I hope it turns out ok I went 85lbs with the moly lube. Managed to get quite a bit done by myself over the weekend. Getting very close to having it all timed up and ready to drop back in....very excited. Still have a few small issues to sort out. Like previously mentioned I'm not the most mechanically inclined and remembering where crap goes since it has all been off for over a year sucks. So everything is just slow moving, getting stuck on something and going to the TSRM or forums to dig up where the heck it goes. If i post some pictures of a few things that are giving me some grief maybe some of you been theres can point me in the right direction...

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
IMG_20130615_151534.jpg

Remembering which bolts and studs go where on this front timing cover area has been fun..other than the mounting bracket on the bottom hanging there with one bolt does anything jump out at anyone here?

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
IMG_20130615_151546.jpgIMG_20130615_151558.jpgIMG_20130615_151608.jpg

Gonna order some cam cover hex screws before i screw those in. Other than that I'm just waiting until i have time to stop at toyota for some new gam gear dowel pins, a throttle body gasket (for some reason my rebuld gasket set didnt come with one), an oil filter, and some new knock sensors.

Couple things that are throwing me:
-the turbo oil lines, they just look weird, the exhaust mani made them a pain to mount on the block and it's gonna be fun getting them to attach to the turbo ( i can see why the soft line kit is nice).
-missing two bolts that go in that dangling mounting bracket you see there...no idea where they ran off to (knowing me I probably used them somewhere else!) it will really be a miracle if this motor works lol!
-The PO capped the hose in the 3rd pic that is under the EGR cooler, the one that comes off the water by-pass lines and has the shady cap in it. Anyone know what this hose goes to?

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Made the greatest discovery of my life last night..the answer to my problems with the build lie in the electronic parts catalog. It has exploded views of everything down to the bolt sizes and part numbers. If I would have been using this the whole time I would be done by now.

Waiting on some parts from Toyota and then this thing is getting dropped in.

Also started to re-wrap my harness but ran out of tape, I will post pics of that soon.

1989SupraT

Feb 3, 2010
Houston, TX
Congrats on the build, I'm looking to start mine shortly, I had my car for a while and have not being able to do much to it. Keep up the good work.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I think next time I come out I just need to bring my bolts that I have from my parts car lol. Basically any size you need I have.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Backlash2032;1947974 said:
I think next time I come out I just need to bring my bolts that I have from my parts car lol. Basically any size you need I have.

Haha that might not be a bad idea..this thing is going in next weekend one way or the other! I was getting so discouraged there for awhile thinking I will never find what goes where, but after finding the EPC...game over!

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
1989SupraT;1947973 said:
Congrats on the build, I'm looking to start mine shortly, I had my car for a while and have not being able to do much to it. Keep up the good work.

Thank you sir. You will get there, mine has been out for over a year...just gotta keep chipping away.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
7M4EVR;1947983 said:
Haha that might not be a bad idea..this thing is going in next weekend one way or the other! I was getting so discouraged there for awhile thinking I will never find what goes where, but after finding the EPC...game over!

Did you get your 550s clips wired in yet?

Honestly, if I were you I would pull the harness from the ECU. it is SO much easier dealing with it all on the stand rather than in the car. Trust me on this!

Also, did you use a OEM Toyota gasket for the EGR cooler? I wouldn't trust ANYTHING else back there. It may work for awhile, but it would be such a pain to change in the car. I don't even want to think about it!

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
I can see your point on both of those suggestions and I agree 100%. I planned to pull the harness and will probably do it this week. The gasket on the EGR cooler I will honestly probably take my chances on...I haven't heard anything bad about top line gaskets and it looked to be good quality. I also put knock-off FIPG around it too. By the time that thing fails hopefully I have another fully built 7M waiting to go in lol

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
supraguy@aol;1948107 said:
FIPG is prolly just going to ooze out.
It is full temp exhaust gasses, after all.

Your probably right but....I tell ya what, if this thing goes I will fully except responibilty, punch myself in the head, and tackle the pita job of replacing it with engine in. Then I will come back on this build thread and bitch about doing it so you can hand me my ass lol. Gonna play with fire on this one...

I havent taken any shortcuts up until this point but there are so many things that you come across on a full rebuild that you say to yourself "better replace/upgrade that now or its going to be a pain to do it later". So many that I am now at the point where I'm like okay done with that now on to the next thing. I just want to drive this freaking car lol!