7M turbo prep

NoKittenMKIII

40mm BOOM
Mar 22, 2009
Sands of Iraq
I'm seriously considering installing a turbo kit on my untouched 7mge, but I want to know what the best upgrades to achieve 450 rwhp are. I want reliable power, but I'm not sure what will need to be replaced with tougher components besides the head gasket and cams. Any help would be appreciated. Currently has 72K on the car.

NoKittenMKIII

40mm BOOM
Mar 22, 2009
Sands of Iraq
figgie;1368507 said:
moving this to the turbo section as this is not an engine tech question.

Thanks! I was on the fence, as I wanted to know what I needed to do to the engine before the turbo, and a good turbo suggestion would help a lot.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
yeah if you want that HP you need to gte swap it ;) The na unless you got the right tune will not hold that with just adding a turbo. You need pistons, gte electronics (CPS, ignitor, coil pack etc) that way the motor can retard when it needs to under boost properly and then the basics oil feed and return which are very easy to set up on the NA

NoKittenMKIII

40mm BOOM
Mar 22, 2009
Sands of Iraq
oldsking;1370598 said:
yeah if you want that HP you need to gte swap it ;) The na unless you got the right tune will not hold that with just adding a turbo. You need pistons, gte electronics (CPS, ignitor, coil pack etc) that way the motor can retard when it needs to under boost properly and then the basics oil feed and return which are very easy to set up on the NA

So what kind of power can I expect simply adding a turbo? If my goal requires an engine swap, I might look into some other engine choices. But I like the economy and power balance of the I6.