7m Swap

S

SupraFST

I did a search for a guide to an engine swap (7m ge - 7mgte) and came up with nothin. I was wandering if any body can help me.

Here's the thing. I'm in WA and my cars in OH, with out a motor. I need to know everthing I'm going to need for the swap before I do it. I'm talking every thing! even the small nickel dime stuff.

My plan is to take leave for about 3 weeks fly home and "Get R done" then drive it back across the country. Hell of a road test I know. But it's either that or towing it across the country.

Oh and by the way I only paid twenty bucks for her!! And yes she's in beautiful shape. 87,000 miles on the chasis

Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

S

SupraFST

WOW that's really helpfull. thanks a lot!!

Dr Jonez' site is awesome.

S

SupraFST

Squid699 said:
very helpful info. If you have any questions, PM me. I did a 91 turbo driveline into my 89 NA chassis......

Did you run into any problems, big or small. cause when I do the swap I'm gonna be rushed for time and I'm trying to anticipate any thing that'l slow me down.

S

SupraFST

Does anybody know of a good site where I can buy an entire driveline, with the ECU and intercooler.

I just need a wrecked car with a good driveline.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
that's exactly what i did with mine. I had a 91 parts car that I stripped, rebuilt the engine and dropped everything into my NA chassis with newer components. Since I was using a 91 engine in my early 89 NA, I had to get the appropriate engine harness and use the earlier square motor mounts (which i wanted to use anyway). Other than that, the install was very straight-forward and easy to do. Remember too that if you don't have a turbo tach, you'll have to mess with the board on that. DrJ has a write up for that on one of the links already listed. Again, if you have any questions, contact me, I'll be happy to help.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
HAHAH...that would be the easy way. If he gets in a serious pinch, who knows - maybe I can fly out there and help. I get cheap tickets. ;)

S

SupraFST

just send your car to me, then fly back and drive it home....

Don't tempt me I just might do that. How Much? and Where?

I also get cheap tickets. well there free.

S

SupraFST

When I get some money I might just let you do it then.

I only get free flights to other navy bases.