7m Stinger Thread

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Heres a link to my post http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1397153&postcount=77

The stinger gives out one signal at a time in sequential order 1,2,3....... The stock ignitor needs the correct combination of one or two simultaneous signals, so a single signal per ignition event will not properly communicate with the stock 7mgte ignitor.

The way the diode circuit is wired it converts the one signal per ignition event (from the stinger or 8860) into the correct combination of 1 or 2 signals that the stock 7mgte ignitor needs to operate correctly.

The only wires used for the stock ignitor are IGT, IGA, IGB and i believe you can wire the stock tach to IG-, IGF is unused, and then B+ gets switched 12V.

blackkarma

MoN-sTaR
Jan 17, 2007
jacksonville, nc
i found this which was posted by aaron in a earlier 7m thread...

p1408329_1.jpg

...looks like you hit the it on nose :biglaugh:chunks

Last edited:

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
nosechunks;1408312 said:
Heres a link to my post http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1397153&postcount=77

The stinger gives out one signal at a time in sequential order 1,2,3....... The stock ignitor needs the correct combination of one or two simultaneous signals, so a single signal per ignition event will not properly communicate with the stock 7mgte ignitor.

The way the diode circuit is wired it converts the one signal per ignition event (from the stinger or 8860) into the correct combination of 1 or 2 signals that the stock 7mgte ignitor needs to operate correctly.

The only wires used for the stock ignitor are IGT, IGA, IGB and i believe you can wire the stock tach to IG-, IGF is unused, and then B+ gets switched 12V.

most here will have no understanding of igt, igf on a toyota so it's best to post up a color coded chart or diagram so people can just wire it up. To the igniter.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Blackkarma: haha good one. made me "lol"

Quake: Yea i was just trying to explain the reasoning behind it, i like knowing how things work not just that they do.

Since you popped in, you have any experience making translation tables Quake?

Any what ignitor would you recommend, the ls1 coils/ignitor combo should do nicely correct?

blackkarma

MoN-sTaR
Jan 17, 2007
jacksonville, nc
i figured out the reason y i couldnt open it the 4424 does not have loadable translation tables we can only input values...another reason y im getting the 8860 and a nice carputer....

im sure quake stop caring about this thread after his post but he stands behind his msd dual gm coils and DIS4

Last edited:

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Ahh i see, Anyone out there with a 6860/8860 Wana check that out for me?

Quake: 8860? Axillary inputs have a table you can create that will give a value to the 0-5 volt scale to display with the defined gauges.

I have a problem where i can only enter whole numbers rather then a number with a decimal. I was just wondering if it was just me or something in the software that wont allow it. If i enter say "9.5" into one of the boxes it will round it either up or down upon reload.

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
nosechunks;1408340 said:
Blackkarma: haha good one. made me "lol"

Quake: Yea i was just trying to explain the reasoning behind it, i like knowing how things work not just that they do.

Since you popped in, you have any experience making translation tables Quake?

Any what ignitor would you recommend, the ls1 coils/ignitor combo should do nicely correct?

i say new coils msd 8224 or another with the same specs for voltage (msd pencil coil) don't bother with the stock ones for the money this should take you to 500rwhp or so. After that you will need an ignition system and can keep the same coils

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
nosechunks;1408372 said:
Ahh i see, Anyone out there with a 6860/8860 Wana check that out for me?

Quake: 8860? Axillary inputs have a table you can create that will give a value to the 0-5 volt scale to display with the defined gauges.

I have a problem where i can only enter whole numbers rather then a number with a decimal. I was just wondering if it was just me or something in the software that wont allow it. If i enter say "9.5" into one of the boxes it will round it either up or down upon reload.

sounds like they have a correction factor built in work around it

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I was trying to do so but theres no way to set the headings for the rows like in the fuel and ignition maps. The only thing i can come up with is put in the whole numbers and the scale will just be half a point off on the gauge.

Just seems kinda stupid you cant put in anything but a whole number, i cant imagine anything would be properly calibrated if only whole numbers can be used.

I even tried putting in an odd number of headings hoping to catch the rows that would require the whole numbers but cant manage that either without having one or two numbers needing to be with a decimal place and that throws off the whole chart.

Must be something i'm missing somewhere.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Just got up and running yesterday on the 8860!!!

Anyone using stock ISC for idle control? Going to attempt to tackle that when i wake up!!!

So far even with a "by ear" tune is VERY responsive, Of course i haven't exactly driven the car, but it sounds great in the driveway!!!

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Attempted ISC hook up, wired everything up, and no working.

I wired it up as Type 1 in the Motorsport manual as the stock ISC is 6 pole. Thought maybe it was backwards as it says it can be in the manual, reversed order and still nothing.

only other thing i can think of is that my ISC is all the way open as the TCCS did that the last time i shut down. Maybe i have to close it manually first?

Anyone have any input on this please?

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Figured it out if anyones interested:

B1&2 to B+ switched

Purple - s3 
Purple/black - s2 
Purple/red - s4
Purple/orange - s1

works correctly still working on tweaking it for desired results.

Hi. Just curious about your MAP sensor reading above 30 PSI. Is it a 7M sensor? Mine saturates at 5V at about 15 PSI. If I raise the supply voltage slightly the output changes ratiometrically, as if the pressure transducer bridge excitation is derived from the 5V supply.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. Please PM me.

BernieK

hottscennessey;1349787 said:
I found out that the onboard MAP sensor actually reads above 30 PSI, even though the fuel/ignition maps don't show it.

With the fuel/ignition override tab you can add more fuel/ignition retard when going past 30 PSI. It's there to keep more of a smooth map, rather than a huge "hill". The pre-set settings are good. I never needed to touch them.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Anyone?? Whats your settings for accelerator enrichment? i havbe it at 100% and still choking at throttle input.

If i stab the throttle it goes coughs farts pops and dies violently.

EDIT: Disregard, i had my timing set to locked, Should have checked operator error eariler!

Last edited: