7M oil leak. Looking for references

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Okay, so I've just put a 7M-GTE that's been getting built up over the last 4 years or so bit by bit into my '90.

Am I 100% sure of anything that was done 4 years ago? Of course not.

Block was taken to a machine shop, and matched for tolerances to the forged pistons I bought for it, cleaned, bored, line-bored for the crank, decked, and looked great. Cylinder head also done up, and looked great.

So lots of assembly lube, and wrench pulling time later, the engine is finished, and I drop it into my car. I finish getting everything bolted together, and crank. No oil pressure. Turns out I made a dumb mistake, and crossed the lines to the remote filter mount, so no oil flow past the filter. Engine was cranked for a bit, CPS re-clocked, then cranked and it started. Ran for ~5-10 seconds on assembly lube, then shut down. Fixed oil filter feed, started again. Sounds much nicer, oil pressure, then none. Shut down. Oil all over the ground under the car.

Oil appears to be flowing from between the block and the lower timing cover -- the one machined with the block. the timing belt is dry, so it's not coming out to the timing belt area, so it's not the main seal or oil pump driveshaft seal.

So, given the volume of oil in a short time, I'm thinking that it's not like a gasket leak, but a system plug somewhere that the machine shop removed, and I missed re-installing. Or missed tightening.

I can't see clearly the source of the oil, but it appears to be forward of the oil pressure sender and turbo oil feed. Is there a plug there that I may have missed? I think there's a plug that goes between the timing cover and the block casting, which it could be. given the TSRM oil system diagram, it appears to be the exhaust side front where the oil feed to the cylinder head is. this appears to be where the leak is, so if there are any places there that could leak a lot of oil, I'd like to know where that is.

It occurs to me that's also immediately below the CPS, though I know that I have a new O ring seal on the CPS, and I don't know that even with that seal completely fubar it would leak that much oil that quickly.

Anything else in there I missed?

I'll be checking around again tonight. no time this weekend because prior commitments though.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I'm going to guess the oil galley plug behind the rear timing cover.
You know where the oil feed is for the turbo? Well, the front hex oil galley plug is in-line with that(same
height on the block). I couldn't find a pic of the front plug, but here's the rear plug, and this galley is of course
in a straight line all the way to the front of the block, so it's in the same position, behind the rear timing cover:

p2081947_1.jpg

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, I haven't found any references for where there are plugs in the oil galleys.

I've been told that there's one that I might be able to get to. I'll spend some time looking for that (Probably tomorrow. This weekend was crazy busy, and I had no time to do anything on the car.)
I found this picture from back when I was tearing down the block, before its visit to the machine shop:

I can see the oil galley plug ont he front of the block there (Prime suspect) and was told that there would be another one on the side of the block, directly fore of the oil feed. Judging from the oil flow diagram, I think that there are 3 lines drilled into/through the block for oil passage, one front to rear, and feeds the turbo, oil squirters and main bearings. One in from the side to under the oil feed to the cylinder head feed (directly down from the small hole at the front of the head gasket surface) and of course the one downwards through the block to feed the cylinder head. If it's the plug on the side, I have a shot at being able to fix this in the car without too much disassembly.

If of course it's the main plug at the front of the block... Well, it'll need dealing with.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com

So. There is another plug on the side of the block, fore of the oil pressure sensor. It appears to be a 1/4" BSPT plug. I'm kind of thinking that I may want to use that opening to put in an aftermarket oil pressure gauge at some point, but for now, I'll take the factory gauge as being adequate to tell me "yes, there's pressure." and trust that the oil pump is doing its job, once this is plugged.